speck case or do i use as is ????

Reaction score
hello ladys and gentle man im new these forums .my question is i have a speck case on my macbook pro but its recommended to take off every now and then to clean but i noticed some scratches on the side of my macbook pro where the side clips go on the macbook pro and im not really liking that what would u guys recommend should i use as is im really just planing to use my macbook as desktop most of the time .for those who have a macbook pro and never used and type of protection on the out side please let me know what was the outcome thanks ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I have never used a case...the aluminum design is not only for looks and durability but acts as a heat expelling mechanism. Covering it all up is like wrapping your body in saran wrap, where's the heat and sweat going to go?

Oh and I do know that my mac doesn't sweat haha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I've gone about 9 months on an aluminum with nothing... and about 4 months so far with a speck....

From my experience I will stick with the speck... will I get some scratches? Maybe, I haven't so far but it could happen. Without the speck I do know that I got a thumb sized dent in the case (about 99% sure I wouldn't have gotten that with a case).

So to me I would rather have a multitude of tiny scratches that I could always polish or buff out than 1 big dent that will be there forever.

As for heating problems. I haven't noticed any, the fans still blow the air through the mac and after being told by Apple that the speck case wouldn't cause any problems... well I feel comfortable.... to me the fan is what cools the mac not the aluminum case... and I will believe that until the time I hear that apple is applying a thin coating of thermal paste between the motherboard and the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I've gone about 9 months on an aluminum with nothing... and about 4 months so far with a speck....

From my experience I will stick with the speck... will I get some scratches? Maybe, I haven't so far but it could happen. Without the speck I do know that I got a thumb sized dent in the case (about 99% sure I wouldn't have gotten that with a case).

So to me I would rather have a multitude of tiny scratches that I could always polish or buff out than 1 big dent that will be there forever.

As for heating problems. I haven't noticed any, the fans still blow the air through the mac and after being told by Apple that the speck case wouldn't cause any problems... well I feel comfortable.... to me the fan is what cools the mac not the aluminum case... and I will believe that until the time I hear that apple is applying a thin coating of thermal paste between the motherboard and the case.
Based on my understanding of the properties of Apples Unibody housing, as well as the type of plastic that Speck uses, either of these are good solutions in terms of durability. While I'm currently using my MacBook Pro in it's original state, my best friend uses a Speck to cover his. They both ran within just a few degrees of each other when we did a side by side unscientific test just to satisfy our curiosity. The true advantage of the Speck in my opinion, is that it will tend to reduce the chances of denting the case. It will also provide an extra layer of protection in the event the computer is dropped, which is that scenario would be extremely valuable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I dunno, I find they cheapen the look and add bulk and weight but it's all personal preference. I had a security guard at an airport drop my MacBook Pro and dented/twisted the chassis a tiny bit but other than that, the computer is flawless. In MY hands (not idiots at the airport) the computer would be flawless and I'd never run a bulky plastic case over a gorgeous aluminum computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have never used a case...the aluminum design is not only for looks and durability but acts as a heat expelling mechanism. Covering it all up is like wrapping your body in saran wrap, where's the heat and sweat going to go?

Oh and I do know that my mac doesn't sweat haha!

Well put you hit the nail on the head. I never understood why someone would buy a computer as aesthetically pleasing as a Macbook and then cover it up.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I just put a neoprene sleeve on mine when I have to take it anywhere. I've had mine for almost two years and even the Geniuses at the Genius Bar remark on how new it still looks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I use a neoprene as well, my 4 year old MBP 1st gen looks REALLY good, aside from the above mentioned boo-boo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I'm using a Speck clear case. It adds a little more weight and thickness, but the protection has been great. The clear let the aluminum shows through which I like. I haven't noticed any scratches from the case. There are a lot of scratches and scrapes at the bottom to the case which would have been on the notebook it self if I had not use the cover. Plus it adds a layer of protection since all the important components only have a thin cover at the bottom to protects it. I don't like to cover up te aesthetic of the MBP either but it must have protection against my accidental self.

C

chas_m

I just put a neoprene sleeve on mine when I have to take it anywhere. I've had mine for almost two years and even the Geniuses at the Genius Bar remark on how new it still looks.

This is exactly what I do with my BlackBook, and it would take me about 30 seconds of wiping with a damp cloth to convince you I had just taken it out of a vacuum-sealed new box.

The BlackBook is NOTORIOUS for fingerprint oil showing up, but a quick microfibre wipedown and its beautiful again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
If you are going to get a hard case i would recommend the incase hard case over the speck. I have had both and think the design on the incase is better

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.