• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macbook Pro or iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook | iPhone | iPod touch
Hello everyone,
I am a college student who is working on my degree in Graphic Arts and Imaging Technology and am currently looking to upgrade my laptop. I currently have a 2007 Macbook (White), which I have upgraded to 4GB Ram. The laptop is great, besides some cracking that I plan on getting repaired, but I feel like I may need to upgrade in order to handle some of the programs I am going to need in many of my classes.
Now the reason I came here is that I do not know what Mac I should upgrade to. I can afford either a Macbook Pro or an iMac but not both. My question for you is, which would I be better off getting: the 15-in 2.66 GHz Macbook Pro (the most expensive I can afford) or the 27-in Quad Core iMac (Which is only $50 more than the Macbook Pro)?
I hope that someone out there will be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

F-X-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would go with the iMac. you have a mobile computer now. the iMac gives you a bigger screen to do work on.

OP
Fusion-X-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook | iPhone | iPod touch
i would go with the iMac. you have a mobile computer now. the iMac gives you a bigger screen to do work on.

That's what I was thinking, I was just unsure if I could get the same computing power on the Macbook Pro, along with the portability, as I would get with the non-portable iMac. I suppose I really want the Macbook Pro because they just look so **** nice compared to my "old" white one ;P Either way I will get both eventually within the next year or two, I just need to know which to buy first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I will second that opinion. You already have a quality MacBook. Even the dual core iMac would do what you'll need it to, but you'd be crazy not to get the quad core if you can afford it. That guy will be a workhorse for you for years to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I'll third it.
Go with the iMac - you can get more computing power for your money.

There are people who still use the first generation G5's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.