Networking Airport Express and a Linksys wireless router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1.5G RAM
Hey all... Need some help setting up a network.

I just got my iMac with an Airport Extreme card. I have a Linksys wireless router that I was using with my PC. The iMac had no trouble detecting the wireless network and getting e-mail and the web working...

I just bought an Airport Express to extend my network and stream audio. I can get it to work by setting up an Apple network that is seperate from my linksys network. The problem is that when I switch to the Apple network to stream music, I lose my internet connection and can't surf.

As soon as I switch back to the linksys network, the web comes right back but I lose the Airport Express and can't stream...

When I try to change the linksys network, it can't find the Airport. It only shows up when I create a new network or edit the Apple network...

Help! I want to stream music and surf the web at the same time and don't want to switch networks around every time.

Thanks...

M

Moadib

WannaMac said:
I just bought an Airport Express to extend my network and stream audio. I can get it to work by setting up an Apple network that is seperate from my linksys network. The problem is that when I switch to the Apple network to stream music, I lose my internet connection and can't surf.

It sounds like the Airport has been creaed as a separate network, and not as part of your existing (Linksys) network. You need to re-run the setup, ensuring to add your Airport to the existing wireless network.

It sounds like you detect the airport, then when going to play music your computer switches over to the new WLAN. Therefore dropping the Linksys connection, therefore no internet connection.

I have the same setup as you and it works flawlessly, so it will work for you.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still not working...

Moadib said:
It sounds like the Airport has been creaed as a separate network, and not as part of your existing (Linksys) network. You need to re-run the setup, ensuring to add your Airport to the existing wireless network.

It sounds like you detect the airport, then when going to play music your computer switches over to the new WLAN. Therefore dropping the Linksys connection, therefore no internet connection.

I have the same setup as you and it works flawlessly, so it will work for you.

Here's what I did...

1. Opened Airport Setup Assistant

2. Clicked "Change settings on an existing Airport Base Station

3. Selected "linksys" from the list of available networks

4. Waited for it to identify the Airport Express, and waited... and waited...

The problem seems to be that it doesn't find the Airport Express when I select "linksys", so I can't add it to the network. As soon as I select the Apple Network it brings the AE right up... Like I said, it works fine but then dumps the internet connection...

Any way to "help" it find the AE and add it to the linsys network?

Thanks!

Tom

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey... Never mind. I just got it figured out. I must have taken a wrong turn during set up. I "started again" and did it right this time... Now it's working perfectly.

Not the iMac's problem... Mine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.