Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hey,
Don't know if anyone can help me, I've been trying to repair a 1 terrabite external Lacie drive using Disk utility.
On verifying the drive the only thing flagged in red was "too many hard links".
After hitting repair, and 4 days later, disk utility is still soldiering on each line saying "incorrect flags for hard link (number). The number rose sequentially to like millions... I have now noticed that this today has changed to "incorrect flags for directory inode (id number).

Is this correct & should it be taking this long? Is it doing its job or am i wasting my time? The ext drive is my main back up so its real important.
Disk utility has been saying 'estimated time remaining one minute' since friday...

Thanks for any advice

C

chas_m

Sounds hosed, but you might try buying a copy of Disk Warrior. It will very likely fix this problem, but even if it doesn't it's a very good investment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It seems that it is stuck in the process. It should only take a few minutes.
I would suggest that the drive may be dying, but the only real option you have, that I can see, is to re-format it.
Of course that means losing any data stored on it. If that's not an issue then you should go ahead and try.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys - gonna hold out a bit longer with everything crossed 'cos Disk utility is now onto something different called "directory hard link ancestors" :eek:
and the estimated time is up to 1 day 8 hours - so its doing something - otherwise I'll be out for a copy of disk warrior.

Cheers fellas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.