Automating Disk Utility from Command Line

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I run a MAC with several partitions set up, each containing various versions of MAC OSX for testing purposes.

I also have a nother partition that I use for admin purposes to erase and restore the other partitions from various images I have of them. I use disk utility for this, but it relies on me having to sit in front of the MAC and wait for them to erase and resotre before starting the next partition. At 40-60 minutes oer partition, this is very time costly.

Is there a way to automate this using the command line, or a script so I can just set it going overnight and return when It has completed?

Thanks.

C

chas_m

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the help technologist.

Chas_m, thanks, i'll be sure to use that in future when I'm looking for more help with my MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Chas_m, thanks, i'll be sure to use that in future when I'm looking for more help with my MAC

Hon, please. It's not a "MAC." It's a Macintosh. It actually makes some of us cringe to see it consistently written in all caps as though it's similar to "PC." I refer you once more to Chas' post...

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.