Macbook WiFi Issues

Reaction score
Hey, a few days ago my Macbook started experiencing a problem where occasionally the internet will cut out completely. When I go to the WiFi logo at the top right of the screen to toggle it and join another network, I get the spinning wheel and it freezes. The only way to remedy this problem is to completely restart my computer. It is not the router as my room-mates have the same computer as I do and don't experience the same problem - and it happens regardless of what network I'm on. I was wondering if anyone might have any clues as to how to fix this problem. Here are the specs on my computer:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.4f12

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Have you done anything to try and solve the problem? Repaired disk permissions? I can only imagine that something is goofing when you're trying to access the airport settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
did have any recent update in your computer
check it >>open up your console log and go to /Library/Logs/'Software Update.log<<

OP
R
Reaction score
I repaired disk permissions - didn't fix it.

I checked the console log and it is showing my last update as being on 2009_09_10, however I've certainly updated since September. I can't seem to think of any update coinciding with the wifi issue though.

OP
R
Reaction score
I did a little more research and realized that my last updates were:

2/21 - iLife Support
2/8 - iTunes

I don't imagine either of these would effect my wifi. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 1.25GHz/2GB/500GB HD/10.5; MacBook 2 GHz/2GB/320GB HD/Snow Leopard; MacMini Intel Solo
Hi Robert,

May be you backup your hard disk with Time Machine and do a clean Mac OS X install.

After the clean install, run Time Machine to restore your files and data.

I suppose this would work as if the Airport software is corrupted, the clean OS X install will help.

Regards,

Sim

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

May be you backup your hard disk with Time Machine and do a clean Mac OS X install.

After the clean install, run Time Machine to restore your files and data.

I suppose this would work as if the Airport software is corrupted, the clean OS X install will help.

Regards,

Sim

I reinstalled Snow Leopard, but doesn't seem to help. Still having issues. Any other issues? Do you think my wireless card might be going bad?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I reinstalled Snow Leopard, but doesn't seem to help. Still having issues. Any other issues? Do you think my wireless card might be going bad?

It's a possibility. Run the Apple Hardware Test with your Snow Leopard DVD. See the following LINK.

The AHT does not always pick up on defective hardware but go ahead and run the extended test anyway. If it does turn out to be a defective Airport card, it can be replaced without too much difficulty. A replacement card for your machine will cost around $50.00. See this LINK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.