This is Strange!

Reaction score
I have no idea why or how this is doing this but someone needs to give me some insight into this as this keeps happening. Basically, sometimes when I try to go to the Google homepage I get this >

Picture1-3.png

Instead of Google. What is this?

It seems to be written in Chinese but why am I getting a Chinese page when going to Google?

The website comes up as this: www. net. com

I am not sure if any searches under this are safe though.

As whenever I search that in Yahoo, it tells me that it's Dangerous.

Please someone write back to me as soon as possible. This may not be in the right area but I needed to understand why this is happening.

C

chas_m

I'm sorry, but you really haven't given us anywhere NEAR enough information for us to help.

Let's start with the basics: are you on a PC or a Mac? What OS are you using, what browser are you using, are you sure you're typing in the correct spelling (Google), have you tried a different browser, do you use a router, if so what brand and how is it set up, what network are you on, who's your provider, what's the DNS numbers you are using, etc etc etc.

The reason it is happening is because you are being hijacked/redirected. Once you give us some useful info, we may be able to tell you why you are being redirected.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, was late when I posted this, just wanted to get it posted.

Anyway, here is some info. Im using MAC OS X Leopard, Firefox is my browser. I have tried other browsers and yes, the same thing, even in Safari. Im using a Bridge connection between two routers, one router is supported by TalkTalk, im unsure of its make and im using a Airport Extreme Base Station, TalkTalk is my provider, wireless network also.

I appreciate the help, this is just strange, hopefully you can help me understand why it could be happening, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Yeah, that's a hijack alright!
When did it start happening?
I'm not accusing you of anything, but have you installed any software from "questionable" sources like Bittorrent? DId you go to any strange websites? Click on a strange popup?

What browser? Safari, Firefox, Camino?

OP
N
Reaction score
Well that's what I didn't want to hear, a Hijack. :| Started happening only recently, since I switched to my new internet provider TalkTalk.

I have used Bittorent yes, in the past. You thinking it's probably something included in one of those torrents?..

Would doing a fresh install on this computer solve that issue?

Browsers: Firefox, Safari, Opera: Are the ones Ive used.

How can I stop this from happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Fresh install may help. Depends on where the hijack is happening. From a terminal there a a few things to look at
nslookup Google
Should come back with a bunch of addresses - North America it would be something like 72.14.204.something - at least that is what mine reports.

The other command which might point somewhere is where your DNS is pointing.
more /etc/resolv.conf
You should see a nameserver with an IP Address - this is usually set by your ISP - and it should match the server in the nslookup command.

Thirdly you could look in your hosts file
more /etc/hosts
See if someone wrote something in there that changes google to a different IP Address.

Does it happen to any other computer on your network? If it does someone may have hacked your router and changed the DNS. If it is only on one computer then the likelihood is that you got some malware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Maybe the Chinese government is attacking Google again? Excellent advice from the man above.

OP
N
Reaction score
Maybe the Chinese government is attacking Google again? Excellent advice from the man above.

Funny enough I was looking into this late last night and it did bring up some searches about the Chinese government supposedly hacking Google and so on.

Could that be it?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I know. It's old news though, like 4 weeks.

Reaction score
Are you from china? If so, Google has now, just this week been banned in China. Google were showing things the China gov didn't like and Google wouldn't remove it. So Google is now banned.

OP
N
Reaction score
Are you from china? If so, Google has now, just this week been banned in China. Google were showing things the China gov didn't like and Google wouldn't remove it. So Google is now banned.

No, no. Im from the UK, not China. Maybe that has something to do with it though, China being blocked from using Google? :Sleeping: China may not like that idea and could be the reason im seeing that? :Sleeping:

Probably not, just wondering though before I start trying this and that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
China isn't blocked from using google. The Chinese population is, but the government banned it. The origin of the cyber attacks on google was a guy who works in a university lab that who was fairly easy to connect to the Chinese government. It'd be those dudes who would want to hack google, not the people who want to use google and can't. The population has tunnels for that sort of thing. My friend Pat is in China, so he tells me a lot about the regular population in China that the media never could. But yea, tunnels are a common occurrence. They occasionally get shut down, but new ones pop up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Funny enough I was looking into this late last night and it did bring up some searches about the Chinese government supposedly hacking Google and so on.

Could that be it?...

No, because those of us in other parts of the world would see the same thing. Google is working fine for me.
So you get that message in every browser?

Let's see your hosts file. Open up a terminal.app and type the following
cat /etc/hosts
I'm attaching a screenshot of what you should see - your terminal color will probably be white with black text though.
Copy and paste the text in your hosts file.

Screen shot 2010-03-02 at 7.14.25 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
China isn't blocked from using google. The Chinese population is, but the government banned it. The origin of the cyber attacks on google was a guy who works in a university lab that who was fairly easy to connect to the Chinese government. It'd be those dudes who would want to hack google, not the people who want to use google and can't. The population has tunnels for that sort of thing. My friend Pat is in China, so he tells me a lot about the regular population in China that the media never could. But yea, tunnels are a common occurrence. They occasionally get shut down, but new ones pop up.

Public proxies using SSL - China's only real link to the outside world.
I ran one for a few days just to see what would happen. I got alot of Iranian ip addresses as well as Chinese.

Reaction score
this chinese thing has happened to me recently...
have i been hijacked? and if so how can i get rid of it?
i have 10.6 mac and use safari

C

chas_m

Since this happens on all your computers and browsers, the redirecting is taking place either directly from TalkTalk or in your router.

The first thing to check is your router's provided DNS numbers. Make sure they are the ones originally provided to you by TalkTalk. If they are, then complain to TalkTalk about this, as its something on their end.

You can edit them to use either OpenDNS's public numbers or Google's public numbers instead. See if that makes a difference.

OP
N
Reaction score
Since this happens on all your computers and browsers, the redirecting is taking place either directly from TalkTalk or in your router.

The first thing to check is your router's provided DNS numbers. Make sure they are the ones originally provided to you by TalkTalk. If they are, then complain to TalkTalk about this, as its something on their end.

You can edit them to use either OpenDNS's public numbers or Google's public numbers instead. See if that makes a difference.

Thought so. As If the above user has had the same problem as me and is using the same service provider, then just shows its something from there end. I am happy to see that others are getting the problem, as it had me thinking all sorts. I knew it would be down to something like this.

Atleast this is here for others to find, if they find the same problem.

Really strange though, I know if it happens again, I'll be phoning in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.