Connecting MacBook Pro to TV--HELP please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2009 MBP; 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
What cables do I need to connect my MacBook Pro to my 32" LCD TV?

I started off by buying Apple's MiniDisplayPort to DVI Adapter--is this the right move?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
This depends on the connections on your TV.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the forums.

My first instinct would be no, that is not the adapter you need since most TVs do not have a DVI connection. However, you may be able to use it. In order to definitively supply you with a proper answer, we need to know:

1. What MBP do you have? I prefer the year model and processor speed. If you know for sure whether your MBP has the DVI or the mini displayport, that will work also.
2. Make and model # or your TV.
3. Where do you want the sound playing from... TV or a separate stereo/receiver.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2009 MBP; 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1. I have the 2009 13" MBP 5,5; 2.53 GHz. It has the mini display port.
2. Samsung (don't know the model #, it's currently in another state; I bought it about 6 months ago) but I know for sure that it has 3 HDMI slots.
3. I have a 3.5mm headphone jack to phono cable to bring the sound from my laptop to the TV so sound isn't a major concern, but if HDMI is easier I'll gladly pack away the Y cable.

So I guess the point I've reached is should I use a DVI, VGA, or HDMI hook up? And what cable would I need?

Also, does the DVI adapter on the end of the MiniDisplayPort to DVI Apple Product require a DVI-I or DVI-D input?

Thanks a million, I'm not great with this stuff so I really appreciate the help.

Reaction score
On my tv I have a minidisplay port to hdmi, then i use an hdmi cable to hook them up, i use the Y cable for sound. Amazon is a good place to buy the adapters they are cheap there along with the hdmi cable.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The mini displayport to DVI is a DVI-D. So, you can use the adapter you have and pick up a DVI to HDMI cable. I recommend Amazon or monoprice.com.

With the current model Samsungs you'll need to use HDMI # 1 to have sound with HDMI and that port is typically labled HDMI/DVI 1. The other HDMI ports won't allow for a separate audio input.

You'll still need an audio cable, but I'm pretty sure the audio connection on the TV that works with the HDMI/DVI port is also a stereo mini-plug, same as on your MBP rather than the RCA jacks. You might wait to order one of these until you can visually inspect the TV. Can probably get one of these for $10 even at Radio Shack or BB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.