.DMG files with passwords

Reaction score
Hello, i've created a .dmg file using Disk Utility to hide private stuff from anybody who decides to snoop around my mac. i put a 128-aes password i believe on it.

Is this hack proof is it easy to get into let me know so i don't make this mistake thinking people can't get into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Hack proof meaning is the encryption lever hack proof?

The 128 bit standard is sufficient, though 256 is becoming more of the standard.

Keep in mind the whole thing revolves around a password. So if you choose a dictionary password or or something with dictionary substitutions like f!$h you have a higher likely hood of being brute force challenged. Complex passwords are always best for protecting data.

Oh yeah,...don't save it in your keychain either,...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Even better... stay away from anything that may be incriminating or illegal, and if it's super sensitive such as bank details, or you work in legal or political circles, keep it on an external HD and keep it in a safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.