Western Digital Hard Drvies -- Which Ones Are Good For A Power Mac G5?

Reaction score
I was trying to find a thread in here for Hard Drives. I didn't see one yet, so I decided to make this one.

I've heard some bad things about Seagate in regards to how well they work with Macs. WD seems to be the ticket.

I'm not looking for a really huge drive, but I'd like it to be 300gigs. I'm probably going to edit video, which means I will probably need an external as well.

What do you guys recommend in the WD range?

C

chas_m

If you're editing video, save yourself a lot of hassle and just get a 1TB drive. Nobody makes full-size external drives as small as 300GB anymore.

For video I would strongly recommend either buying an external that has Firewire (at least FW400, preferably 800 since you have it on your PMG5) or buying a "bare" drive and putting it in an external case that has FW. You will thank me later for recommending the FW, it's worth the few extra bucks investment.

As for Seagate vs. WD its all rubbish. Pick whatever you like, but Seagate didn't get to be a huge corporation by making crap drives.

My own personal experience with WDs are that they are perfectly fine IF they are lifted up slightly to allow for better airflow (when stood vertically).

Reaction score
I'm running a G5 as well. I put in a Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 in one bay and a WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 in the other. They both run great for me. Both are 1TB, I also have a 1.5 WD My Book external. I have not had any problems with any of them.

I agree with chas_m, nothing smaller than 1TB...you'll be sorry later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.