• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cannot watch a DVD on my Mac

Reaction score
Hello,

A friend gave me a couple of DVDs. The files on the DVDs are in .avi format. My computer (MacBook Pro, purchased January 2007, running Tiger) doesn't "recognize" the DVDs... when I insert the disk(s), it says its blank, and if I try opening it using the VLC or DivX player, nothing happens. The disks work/play fine on two PC laptops I tried. What could be the reason that my Mac won't play them?

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I have tried playing other DVDs since I've encountered this problem, and the DVD player works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What version of OS X are you using? What format is the DVD burned in; ISO9660, some Windows format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
xstep, if you read his original post, you will see that he's running tiger and the DVD's are in .avi format....lol

OP, you tried using VLC or some other type of player?

OP
P
Reaction score
xstep, if you read his original post, you will see that he's running tiger and the DVD's are in .avi format....lol

OP, you tried using VLC or some other type of player?

Yes, I've tried the VLC player, the DivX player, and whatever DVD player the Mac was supplied with. I also made sure that the OS and all the players were updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
EDIT:Lagggy had repost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Is the disc "closed" cause alot of times if the dvd is left open on a windows machine it won't allow you to read the data. If i read your post correctly if you insert the dvd and open it from finder its blank? That sounds like a "closed disc" "open disc" situation to me or in other words "finalizing"

OP
P
Reaction score
Is the disc "closed" cause alot of times if the dvd is left open on a windows machine it won't allow you to read the data. If i read your post correctly if you insert the dvd and open it from finder its blank? That sounds like a "closed disc" "open disc" situation to me or in other words "finalizing"

Interesting. Is there any way around this? I mean is there something I can do with these DVDs to make the files visible/playable on the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

DVD's are not in a "avi" format - there is no such thing. The files ON the dvd may be in an AVI container, but what xstep was asking was the actual format the data DVD was recorded in. There are many formats that Data DVDs can be setup as when they are initially created.

I suggest you read:

ISO 9660 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

Universal Disk Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to get a better idea of what data DVDs can be recorded as for when data DVDs are created.

It does sound like either the disk is recorded with a layout/format that isn't compatible with Mac as xstep mentioned OR the disk isn't finalized/closed as rippingviper pointed out. Best/only way that I know of to fix "closing/finalizing" the dvd would be to take it to your friend and get him to close it.

Is it a DVD+-R or a DVD+-RW? Was it setup as a multisession or single session?

I'd still think the best would be to have your friend confirm the disk is closed/finalized properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.