Max File Size / NTFS ???

Reaction score
Hey,

I recently got a macbook and have been trying to backup some of my media to a 2 TB Western Digital Caviar enclosed drive. During my first attempt I successfully copied about 400GB of media to a single folder after which Finder suddenly failed to load any files in the folder.

Upon further inspection I realized that the ~400GB was not accidentally deleted, but the drive size itself had been reduced (from ~1.83TB to ~1.43TB). Thinking it was a fluke I reformatted the drive back to NTFS but I have experienced the same problem once again after copying over around 500 GB of media.

I have considered dividing up the media across several directories but will this really solve my problem? I have searched the forums and have found no file size or directory size limit in NTFS that is below 2 TB, which I clearly did not reach. I should probably also mention that I've been using Snow Leopard's native NTFS R/W capability explained here.

What do you think? I don't believe it to be a hdd related problem just because the media played perfectly from the drive before I copied too much and all my data just 'disappeared'. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
Z
Reaction score
That worked wonders! I just disabled the native rw support, downloaded ntfs-3g and macfuse and my HDD found all those files that had apparently 'disappeared.'

Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have considered dividing up the media across several directories but will this really solve my problem? I have searched the forums and have found no file size or directory size limit in NTFS that is below 2 TB, which I clearly did not reach. I should probably also mention that I've been using Snow Leopard's native NTFS R/W capability explained here.

I know you've already resolved your problem by using NTFS 3G and MacFuse, but a word of caution... that too is buggy and does not always work right.

Also the procedure you referred to does not work correctly - especially for large files. Snow Leopard does have the ability to R/W to NTFS and as you found out is not turned on by default. You might want to try Paragon NTFS instead ($39.95 and also includes the ability to go both ways).

Or, you might want to use what I use = "ntfsMounter" a free utility which mounts NTFS drives natively in Snow Leopard. I use it all the time and have had no problems whatsoever.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.