iMac (intel late 2006 white model) is shutting down on me!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had this iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo since July of 2007 and something has gone wrong with it. I usually leave it in sleep mode and I came home to it one day where it was completely off and wouldn't turn on (this is after I installed Snow Leopard about 2 weeks prior).

So I called Apple, spoke with 2 technicians and they said to simply unplug it for a while and plug it back in. Well I did that and EVENTUALLY it booted up with a very loud fan noise that eventually went away.

It was working for a while until I come home, the iMac is still on sleep mode (could tell from the blinking light indicator), I moved my mouse and bam, it powers down. So now, I've been having to remove the power cord from the back, plugging it back in (it makes a tingly noise) and waiting about 10-15 minutes before I can turn it back on. Here's the catch-- when I turn it back on, it makes a very loud beeping noise (just once) and it's not the Apple chime.

This has been a process I had to repeat whenever I use the computer. Applications are running very slow, especially Firefox. So does anyone know what this could be? I've been looking all over the place for information on Apple's website but I couldn't find anything!

I might have to give them another call but I figured I'd ask here first. :)

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The loud beeping noise may indicate a bad memory module. I would try new memory modules before proceeding with any further trouble shooting. Memory is very easy to swap out in an iMac - so that's what I would do first.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
The iMac is still under warranty and wouldn't adding new memory modules cost a lot? I mean they should replace it for free at a mac store, no?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iMac is still under warranty and wouldn't adding new memory modules cost a lot? I mean they should replace it for free at a mac store, no?

If your iMac is still under warranty, don't fool with it any more than you have to. Make an appointment with the genius bar and take it on in and let them sort it out for you.

To answer your question above, adding or replacing memory is not expensive provided you don't go overboard and purchase more than you need. And yes, if the machine is under warranty and if it should turn out a module is defective, Apple will replace it for free.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.