• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony DCR-TRV19 -- How Do I Use It Via Firewire On A Mac?

Reaction score
I've recently returned to the Mac world after being in the PC world for a minute to do some serious editing and video shooting. The problem is that much like before, I have had problems with my Sony DCR-DRV19 and it's inability for it's firewire port to work (I didn't have the problem with the USB port, the PC recognized that automatically).

I'm frustrated because I don't want to purchase another camera and hopefully someone here can help me with this problem.

I have IMovie 08 and FCE 4.0 and a Powermac G5.

C

chas_m

As seen in this older thread, all you should need to do is hook the camera up to the computer using the i.Link (Sony's stupid proprietary name for firewire) cable, then fire up iMovie.

The camera will NOT show up on the desktop as a drive, but should be controllable through iMovie.

OP
M
Reaction score
As seen in this older thread, all you should need to do is hook the camera up to the computer using the i.Link (Sony's stupid proprietary name for firewire) cable, then fire up iMovie.

The camera will NOT show up on the desktop as a drive, but should be controllable through iMovie.

It's not showing up in IMovie, says it can't find the camera.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've come the realization that I need a new camera. The Sony I had probably just wasn't meant to work with the Mac I have.

Sucks for me.

C

chas_m

Before you chuck the camera (though I agree there are better options than that particular model), try a different FW cord. I have a FW cord that doesn't work with video cameras AT ALL, but works fine for hard drives. Weird, but true.

Reaction score
Gigaware 4-Pin to 9-Pin Firewire Cable

I have the same camera l and have just successfully connected it to my iMac with a Gigaware 4-Pin to 9-Pin Firewire Cable (6 ft) available at Radio Shack for around $25. Just open up iMovie, turn on the Sony (to VCR mode) and a screen pops up on the Mac...recognized the camera instantly. Downloaded in DV format. Wish I had bought this before I went through the trouble of downloading several long home movies to my Windows laptop in AVI and then buying conversion software to turn them into MOV files on my Mac for editing. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.