WiFi encrytion - Which one is the most realistic to use - WEP, WPA, WPA2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I just got a Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router and it allows me to set the encryption per Frequency (2.4GHz and 5GHz). The issue seems that if I set the 2.4GHz @ WPA or WPA2, hardware that does not support this encryption type will not connect. OK, this part I get, but why then would I set the 2.4 GHz to WEP, and the 5GHZ to WPA/WPA2, if the weakest part of the security to the WiFi network is WEP? That's not saying WEP is not secure @ 128 byte encryprion.

Just strikes me a little odd no? Am I missing something here? It almost seems the WPA/WPA2 is overkill. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Forget about WEP .... not secure anymore

Go for WPA2 and if you have some devices that have issues with WPA2, you can step down to WPA.

Your encryption is not set ' per frequency ' but ' per network ' :)

Cheers ... McBie

OP
mtbinva
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forget about WEP .... not secure anymore

Go for WPA2 and if you have some devices that have issues with WPA2, you can step down to WPA.

Your encryption is not set ' per frequency ' but ' per network ' :)

Cheers ... McBie

Thanks! However, here is a screen shoot. What am I missing?

WNDR3700_UM_16OCT2009.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Professional.jpg

OP
mtbinva
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone? What am I missing?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You want to choose the next from the last "WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)" for strong security and maximum compatibility.

WEP (all forms) are dead. It can be cracked in seconds, with readily available scripts. I really wish that vendors wouldn't even offer it as an option. WPA is easier to use (you just pick a decent password) and uses universal standards (as opposed to WEP which using a 26-character "key" that can be entered in a variety of proprietary ways).

OP
mtbinva
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I have the WPA set and seems to work fine. What I'm vexed with is why the two sets of security, for the same network but separate freq's? Or am I wrong to assume the dual connection speed is actually seen as two separate networks and they are internally bridged?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't have a multi-band router, but my understanding is that each radio has its own encryption standard. In this way, you can run one network for legacy devices and one for devices that support a newer standard. Of course, if the networks are bridged, that would sort-of defeat the point. I wonder if you can tweak those settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.