Startup Disc Full. Mac won't boot. Me going insane.

Reaction score
I have a Unibody Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. It had been giving me the 'your startup disc is almost full' messages for a day or so. I still had about 250mb and I was planning on doing a big cleanup very soon, so I didn't pay it much mind. Suddenly I got a message that told me my startup disk was completely full, and my programs started acting all funny. I checked my HD and found I suddendly had 0kb free.

Great.

I shut it completely down to deal with it later. Now, when I try to start it back up, it gets to the blue screen, and the same 'your startup disk is full' message pops up. I click ok, and then... nothing. It stays on the blue screen and doesn't budge. I can still press the power button and get the option of shutting down or restarting, but that's all I can do. I tried booting in safe mode, with the same result.

I'm sure it's because there is zero hard disk space now, but I can't get it to boot up so I can clear anything away. Anybody have any bright ideas?

Many thanks.

PS. It's probably worth noting that I don't have access to another mac (thus can't use target mode), nor do I have access to any of the discs that came with it (I'm in London, they're in the States).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Do you have a bootable backup with you ?
If so, you can boot from that and remove unneeded stuff from your internal disk.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you have them...boot from the grey DVD that came with the computer or a black OS install disk...then clean up that hard drive.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I do have a 1TB external drive that I use for backups. Can I boot from that somehow? I don't have any of the discs that came with the computer, as I moved to another country and stupidly left them back home. I figured that once I shut off the computer, it would free up whatever was in any temp folders and leave me enough to start it back up.

I was wrong. :Grimmace:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have a 1TB external drive that I use for backups. Can I boot from that somehow? I don't have any of the discs that came with the computer, as I moved to another country and stupidly left them back home. I figured that once I shut off the computer, it would free up whatever was in any temp folders and leave me enough to start it back up.

I was wrong. :Grimmace:

Here are a couple links regarding booting from an external drive:

Can the MacBook Pro boot from an external Firewire or USB drive? @ EveryMac.com

TidBITS : Booting an Intel iMac from an External Drive

Alternatively...since you have a MacBook Pro...go to your nearest Apple Store in London and purchase a OS 10.6 Snow Leopard install disk for £25.00.

That's a pretty cheap price to get access to your computers HD!:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Just find the nearest Apple store in London and buy a retail Snow Leopard upgrade install DVD. The cost is $29.99 in the US. Convert that to UK currency and add whatever VAT and tax they charge. But that might be the most cost effective way to boot your machine - and you can also use the DVD for trouble shooting later on if the need arises.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the OP:

Just find the nearest Apple store in London and buy a retail Snow Leopard upgrade install DVD. The cost is $29.99 in the US. Convert that to UK currency and add whatever VAT and tax they charge. But that might be the most cost effective way to boot your machine - and you can also use the DVD for trouble shooting later on if the need arises.

Regards.

Hey...didn't I already suggest/recommend that?;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey, sorry about that Nick.... I either missed it or my glasses need changing!

Not a good day for me.... I drove to Best Buy to return an item I bought earlier only to find out I left the receipt at home. :Grimmace:

Have fun with all those Macs.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, sorry about that Nick.... I either missed it or my glasses need changing!

Not a good day for me.... I drove to Best Buy to return an item I bought earlier only to find out I left the receipt at home. :Grimmace:

Just teasing!...sometimes a great idea is worth repeating!;)

Sorry to hear about your Best Buy return issue...I can DEFINITELY identify with driving all the way there...and forgetting the receipt!!!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Without buying the disk your other option is to pull the hard drive out and use another mac to access it and delete some files (you will of course need an external enclosure to put the hard drive into but that might be cheaper than disks).

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys :)

I finally got it sorted. I found somebody to walk me through the process of booting in single mode and then we used the terminal interface to delete enough files to give myself space to launch finder. Kinda cool. Brought me back to my old DOS days...

Anyway, thanks again for all your kind suggestions!

Reaction score
If anyone else happens to gets stuck with this, you can also plug your machine into a mates Mac with a firewire cable and turn on holding down T and it will show up as an external HD on their machine allowing you to delete stuff.

wet

Reaction score
If anyone else happens to gets stuck with this, you can also plug your machine into a mates Mac with a firewire cable and turn on holding down T and it will show up as an external HD on their machine allowing you to delete stuff.

Will this work with an Ethernet cable or does it have to be a firewire? Are there any other more readily available types of cables this will work with? Thanks.

Reaction score
single user

I successfully got into single user mode and need some help with commands to delete files to free up space.

currently I am at-

>

Thanks for the help guys :)

I finally got it sorted. I found somebody to walk me through the process of booting in single mode and then we used the terminal interface to delete enough files to give myself space to launch finder. Kinda cool. Brought me back to my old DOS days...

Anyway, thanks again for all your kind suggestions!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure that Terminal is a good place to start deleting files. A wrong deletion there and you could lose valuable data. Since you tagged on to an old thread (that's OK) it would help if you gave us particulars about your Mac and situation. Also, do you have access to another Mac? It's best to have someone there with you who has a good understanding of Terminal and can view your files at the same time. We have folks here in our forums who are Terminal geniuses but they can't "see" your files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.