• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Desperate help needed.

Reaction score
I own a mac book pro 2009 and i recently downloaded film files in avi. and mkv. I then bought 50 Memorex DVD-R to copy these films onto so i can watch them on a DVD player.

I have tried about every software going and i cannot find one that works!
I heard fantastic things about aimersoft which i downloaded then transfered my avi. file to DVD format PAL then burnt it onto disk, put it in my DVD player and nothing happened...
Any suggestions ?
I've now wasted 3 discs trying to get it to work!
Thankyou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
Have you tried Roxio Toast 10 Titanium Pro that is probably the most likely to work Roxio Toast 10 Titanium Pro - CD & DVD Burning . Also have you tried crossover for the mac so then you can download Nero, I'm not sure if it would work but I should imagine it would.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I own a mac book pro 2009 and i recently downloaded film files in avi. and mkv. I then bought 50 Memorex DVD-R to copy these films onto so i can watch them on a DVD player.

I have tried about every software going and i cannot find one that works!
I heard fantastic things about aimersoft which i downloaded then transfered my avi. file to DVD format PAL then burnt it onto disk, put it in my DVD player and nothing happened...
Any suggestions ?
I've now wasted 3 discs trying to get it to work!
Thankyou.

Aimersoft/Aiseesoft/Slysoft et al are pretty much the same crappy software with different front ends. You've heard "fantastic things" about them because they are predominantly advertised via spam on forums like this (although we nuke them very quickly) and pretend to be real users singing their praises.

If you gave any of these companies your credit card number, I would strongly suggest that you get a new one issued. These companies are mostly sham outfits and are little more reputable than any other spammer.

What you need is to encode your AVI and MKV files into a DVD-VIDEO format. Roxio Toast is generally the weapon of choice for that process (as mentioned previously).

And for anyone else looking at this thread, steer clear of the scam software mentioned earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Actually, the true Slysoft is a different company than aimersoft and aiseesoft (and I agree that aimersoft and aiseesoft and many like it are illegit entities), but the true Slysoft also doesn't make any apps for OSX, and also, a few of Slysoft apps are standards for certain things on the windows side of the world and do work as both advertised and intended. But as Slysofts apps don't work on OSX, it's really irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I have had the same question, and I found and purchased Roxio Toast 10 Titanium

This seems to work for all of my burning needs. In the PC world, I use Nero 9. I like the Roxio line for Mac because it's intuitive and the help files are very clear cut. Funny thing is, I do not like the Roxio stiff for PC.

Just my $0.02.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.