My Macbook Pro Runs Hot

Reaction score
The fan runs most of the time now on my 1 year old on my 15" Macbook Pro. Just using Firefox is enough to get it started. When talking on Skype my friends note that my laptop is really noisy. Around the area of the F3 key the laptop aluminium casing is almost too hot to touch much of the time.

I have reinstalled the OS. Reinstalled Windows, upgrading to 7. I have had it tested with diagnostic tools at the Humac store. They say there is nothing wrong. But surely my US$3,500 laptop can do better than this.

Does this sound normal to you guys? Is there anything I can do about it?
I feel stupid taking it back to the Humac store and asking them to test it again.

The thing is that I use another Macbook Pro 15" at work, 6 months old, the model after mine, and it has none of this behaviour.

On another note my battery lasts for an hour at most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Have you tried to open up the bottom cover to see if there may be excessive dust inside. I only had my MBP for 3 months. Few days ago I opened to upgrade the RAMs, There was already a thin film of dust on the inside of the bottom cover and speckles of dust on the battery, drives, and back vent. I think I'll open it up every few months from now on to clean the dust off.

Something to consider... There are indications on this forum that running Skpe tends to heat things up.

Reaction score
first off HOLY CRAP you paid 3,500 for your mac. but i digress do you still have warranty on your system? if so i would try and have apple trouble shoot it for you. i have a new mbp and it runs almost frightening cool and i cant even ever really hear the fans. maybe a little from time to time. not loud enough to where people could hear me over skype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Why are you frightened because it runs cool?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.