Microsoft office 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
This is about the student and home edition. Does anyone have any big problems with this for it not working? The reviews on the apple site is 2 and a half stars. I am a student and I just use office for the main products, word, excel, and powerpoint. That is really it. But I am just concered about buying it since the reviews suck. So does it do what i need it to do well? I dont really need entourage, I really have no idea what that is.

So does it work well for you? Does it have any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Works fine for me. There's a little learning curve on each of the program interfaces, but nothing major. I run it on both Powerbooks and on the MBP with no problems whatsoever.

C

chas_m

Some users have a real love/hate relationship with Microsoft. The low rating is probably due to some people being upset by the makeover the 2008 version got versus the 2004 version.

You might want to consider switching to iWork, which is $79 from Apple and features Pages (a combination Word Processor and DTP layout app that's highly MS Word compatible), Keynote (blows the doors off PowerPoint) and Numbers (a very radical rethink of spreadsheets -- hard for Excel users to "get into" and doesn't have all the features of Excel, but if you learn it you will make spreadsheets that will make grown Excel users weep with jealousy).

Or, just buy MS Office 2008. From everything I've seen, it seems like a perfectly adequate product; it just carries a lot of "user baggage."

Do note that coming later this year is an all-new version of Office that promises some substantive changes, so if you don't need this immediately you might want to wait till summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So does it work well for you? Does it have any problems?

Yes to both. It works well enough. Excel has more problems than Word, and I don't use PowerPoint. The problems are minor frustrations, nothing insurmountable. Office 2010 is supposed to be coming out, but I don't know if a release date has been set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
I have had no problems with it so far and everything seems to be working alright. As for the release date of Office 2010 it is this June.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Works just great subject to updating with all MS updates, currently version 12.2.3. Dlo not bother switching to anything else!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS Office 2008 works just fine here. Don't know why it received a low review, however, since it's a MS product I can understand why. Lots of MS haters out there.... :Mischievous:

If you want 100% compatibility with other Office users, then you need Office 2008 or Office 2007 if you're a Windows guy.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.