spanish/english keyboard

Reaction score
Hi Everybody, this is my first post in this forum even though i visit frequently. So far I have found solution to everything here but I have this problem which is not so common.

here is the story:

I have a Macbook Pro which I bough about a month ago. It has a spanish keyboard which includes the letter "ñ". So a couple of days ago a decided to change the login password. The new pasword includes the letter ñ (not a good idea). But for some reason when I try to lgin the new password does not work. I am pretty sure it is because the keyboard went to english mode and when you type ñ it is actually typing ":"

To type ñ you do alt+n then n again, but i tried that on my dads mac air which also has a spanish keyboard and does not work probably because of the spanish keyboard.

I also tried his isntall disk on my lap to reset the adm password but evry time I click on the disk to get into the menus it just freezes. I also tried some of the methods to change it with out the disk but nothing worked.

Does any of you have any experience with something similar? any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
First thing I notice - your dad's Mac Air disk will not work with your MBP. You will need the original disks that came with your computer. If they're not available, you'll need a retail version of whatever OS you're using in order to change your password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.