Feels so weird using the Mac, like something missing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
I have been using my Mac straight, around 6 hours per day maybe more, for the past 3 weeks and well, Nothing ever goes wrong. I have not had any problems and do not need to worry about trying to maintain it all the time. No crashes, no software not responding,no viruses,no slow boot up,no malware,no spyware,no annoying forever updates that require slow restarts, no headaches at all.

I am pursuing my Computer Science degree and feel so comfortable with my Mac. I love that I can use the terminal like in my linux machines, i love that it came with it all ready to program in Python. I love it.

Just had to share this. I know 100% that I will never ever buy a windows system ever again.

Reaction score
yes the headaches are gone.. i too am a new mac user and i spent all day trying to fix my dads stupid pc. came downstairs and was happy to get back on the mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Just wait until you install XCode (which is on your OS discs if you don't want to download it) - I know I've enjoyed it so far as an IDE for programming in.

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
Most people I know who are also pursuing their comp sci degree, are PC users. They make stupid points to me. Oh Mac are over priced and blah blah blag, the typical PC rubbish against Apple.

I counter this by pointing out that is the whole purpose of computer science not to help make technology and computational methods work on a more complex and precise yet subtle and human friendly level?.

You know your work as a developer is great if the user does not even know their really using it. It just works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
Yes, spent a few minutes getting some malware off my wife's PC the other day. Step 1? Open up my Macbook to look on the net to see what to do. Unfortunately, I'm way better at troubleshooting Windows than I want to be. I hope it is a skill that perishes as my wife eventually moves to Mac as well....

Love your sig, btw....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Most people I know who are also pursuing their comp sci degree, are PC users. They make stupid points to me. Oh Mac are over priced and blah blah blag, the typical PC rubbish against Apple.

I counter this by pointing out that is the whole purpose of computer science not to help make technology and computational methods work on a more complex and precise yet subtle and human friendly level?.

You know your work as a developer is great if the user does not even know their really using it. It just works.

Funny how they say that when at least three four times a week they're fixin their s#$%! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The only argument there is for using a windows box for development is if you're developing windows apps (which you can easily use a VM for of course) - but trying to develop either win32 or MFC apps on xcode is really not possible (at least easily), but if you're a C# programmer it's more possible but doesn't really look enjoyable (from what I've read). Myself, I don't program C#, and stay away from anything .net (don't like the overhead even if it makes certain things easier) and although I haven't written any windows apps for a while now, I'd probably use wxWidgets anyway so that way whatever I wrote could easily be written on either platformed and compiled on either platform (win or osx) as a gui app (although I'll admit I'm working on teaching myself objective c :) ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

There is something missing, it's called 'Hassle'.

Reaction score
Sometimes with my new mac, I feel naked with out a virus scanner, but being an I.T. guy working on straight pc's and windows networks I dont know if this feeling will pass. HAHA

Reaction score

There is something missing, it's called 'Hassle'.

Ha, never a more true statement. I'm only 1 month into being a MAC owner, and still I can't believe I dont have to baby it, unreal. Love my new unibody polycarb mac!

C

chas_m

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

Just FYI. Glad you are having a good time with your Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Just a heads up...
It is generally a good idea to install some Anti Virus software (not Symantec) if you exchange files with Windows users.

C

chas_m

Just a heads up...
It is generally a good idea to install some Anti Virus software (not Symantec) if you exchange files with Windows users.

Uh, what? Um, no ...

1. If a Windows user hands you an "infected" file, guess what it will do? NOTHING. The worst thing that could happen is that you pass it on to another Windows user, but really you'd have to be pretty dumb to do such a thing.

2. There's no viruses for Macs. And if there were, they wouldn't affect Windows users.

If you want to waste your own resources installing a Mac anti-virus program on the EXTREMELY low possibility that you might stop yourself passing on a Windows virus, be my guest (and use Clam AV X, its free and open-source). I've been using computers since the late 70s and haven't managed to pass on a virus to anyone ever, but hey maybe I just lead a charmed life.

Please see the Official Mac Antivirus and Firewall FAQ on this very forum for more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Uh, what? Um, no ...

1. If a Windows user hands you an "infected" file, guess what it will do? NOTHING. The worst thing that could happen is that you pass it on to another Windows user, but really you'd have to be pretty dumb to do such a thing.

2. There's no viruses for Macs. And if there were, they wouldn't affect Windows users.

If you want to waste your own resources installing a Mac anti-virus program on the EXTREMELY low possibility that you might stop yourself passing on a Windows virus, be my guest (and use Clam AV X, its free and open-source). I've been using computers since the late 70s and haven't managed to pass on a virus to anyone ever, but hey maybe I just lead a charmed life.

Please see the Official Mac Antivirus and Firewall FAQ on this very forum for more information.

I know it won't run on the mac.
But sending an infected tole to somebody might might upset them.

Word files for example. I had somebody send an infected one to me, I edited it, and sent it to the next person in my group.
Next thing I know there's an upset voicemail...

C

chas_m

I hate to sound callous, but -- surely it is THEIR responsibility to maintain their guard against infected files, rather than yours?

They made a decision to use an OS that is prone to these sorts of problems. I would say its THEIR job to make sure their machine is adequately protected, not your job to hobble your Mac somewhat in the mostly-fruitless pursuit of the possibility that you might pass on an infected file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I hate to sound callous, but -- surely it is THEIR responsibility to maintain their guard against infected files, rather than yours?

They made a decision to use an OS that is prone to these sorts of problems. I would say its THEIR job to make sure their machine is adequately protected, not your job to hobble your Mac somewhat in the mostly-fruitless pursuit of the possibility that you might pass on an infected file.

Partially true.... not everyone can afford a Mac.
Still I try to be a good citizen and try to safeguard as many people as possible, including people I work with.

Reaction score
Another good example is what it takes to get the Apache web server running in OSX:

system preferences
sharing
web sharing

That's it! Apache is now running and OSX even gives you two links to test it out.

(I shudder to think what it takes to get it going in Ubuntu.)

These are the kind of things that make a Mac lower cost than other computers: if you put any value on your time you're going to come out ahead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Linux is free - you get what you pay for.

I wish I could say the best things in life were easy and free but that simply isn't the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Another good example is what it takes to get the Apache web server running in OSX:

system preferences
sharing
web sharing

That's it! Apache is now running and OSX even gives you two links to test it out.

(I shudder to think what it takes to get it going in Ubuntu.)

These are the kind of things that make a Mac lower cost than other computers: if you put any value on your time you're going to come out ahead.

Ubuntu
commandline> tasksel
Select lamp - click OK
away you go.
Mac is easy but Ubuntu has done a lot to make setting up linux really easy. LAMP by the way is Linux Apache Mysql PHP(python perl) - all in one easy to install package in linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.