Feels so weird using the Mac, like something missing

Reaction score
Ii love that it came with it all ready to program in Python.

I struggled to get started with Python on the Mac, but I've only had it a few days. I have been using Unix and Linux for years so I thought Mac OSX would be easy enough to get used to, but so far I haven't quite come to terms with it.

Using the pre-installed apps is brilliant, but trying to do anything beyond that has called for a lot of Googling. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I struggled to get started with Python on the Mac, but I've only had it a few days. I have been using Unix and Linux for years so I thought Mac OSX would be easy enough to get used to, but so far I haven't quite come to terms with it.

Using the pre-installed apps is brilliant, but trying to do anything beyond that has called for a lot of Googling. :eek:

If you come from unix and are comfortable with debian packages try fink
Fink - Home

or macports
The MacPorts Project -- Home
these are where a lot of the FOSS projects are for MAC - really easy to use too.

for example
port search python
sudo port install python
(need some version stuff but you get the picture)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Linux is free - you get what you pay for.

I wish I could say the best things in life were easy and free but that simply isn't the case.

Linux is free. It may not be the best, but it is still far less susceptible to viruses than Windows machines are, not to mention the fact that your hardware will run more efficiently, and you can use free opensource AV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.