Can I Have The Same Windows Opening Each Time I Restart My Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 3Ghz G5/5GB/500GB & Macbook Pro/2.8GHz/4GHz/500GB & several 15" & 17" G4 Powerbooks & 1 x Imac
My desktop is filled with 8 windows and I would like to ensure they stay on the desktop. After other people have used my computers the windows are often closed or moved around. Is there a way I can insure the windows of my choice remain on the desktop?

Is there a way I can ensure they stay in the same positions like the desk icons that are on many desktops?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Don't think so, not if other people are going to use your computers. You could try leaving a permanent screen message "please leave windows where you found them", but human nature being what it is, I don't think it would work.

C

chas_m

My desktop is filled with 8 windows and I would like to ensure they stay on the desktop.

1. Okay, sorry, but I have to start here: why do you have eight windows open on your desktop?

After other people have used my computers the windows are often closed or moved around.

2. And the reason other people are accessing your account instead of their own or a guest account is ...

Reaction score
As somewhat sarcastically although correctly suggested make the other users use another account. If you turn on fast user switching you can swap to this account, let them use it and then swap back to your account and everything will be as it was.

You can also add things to Login Items in the account preferences, I believe this includes folders etc... then they will open automatically on login.

Reaction score
Go into SP and "User Accounts" then click the tab "Login Items" and deselect the ones you don't want.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 3Ghz G5/5GB/500GB & Macbook Pro/2.8GHz/4GHz/500GB & several 15" & 17" G4 Powerbooks & 1 x Imac
Why Do I have So Many Windows Open?

I normally have 6-8 windows open in order to assist in the running of a small business and like to have business and personal diaries open, along with my online invoicing, Finder and a couple of Safari Browser windows and occasionally, a film window! This enables me to switch swiftly between the applications, copy and paste and if time allows, watch a film in the background.

If somebody can suggest a more effective method I am all ears. I'm aware of spaces, but as yet, haven't investigated. Any info on that software would be appreciated.

I run the business from my home which means my children, partner and personal assistant have access to my computer. Mine is the most user friendly desk to work at thanks to the 30' screen. I prefer not to password protect the computer as I find it irritating having to enter a password each time I need to use my computer. ( I will admit I am almost at the point where I will adopt this option. I have it on the shiny new MacBook Pro, but that is a secondary computer.)

Thank you to those of you who have already helped.

C

chas_m

"Spaces" (and tabs in Safari) was why I asked the question in the first place; I don't have any objection to your wanting multiple apps opening on startup (easily arranged), but it sounded like you weren't using your computer very efficiently, and my hunch proved correct.

Use tabs in Safari rather than separate windows; it will make a great deal of difference, and you can have the tabs set to auto-open when Safari launches, which also can be auto-set to happen on login.

Assigning different apps (or groups of apps) to a particular "Space" will also make your desktop a lot less cluttered while still giving you room for everything. So for example in your case you might assign Safari to always open in Space 1; the diaries in Space 2, and the film in Space 3 (though as a cinephile I must give you Marge Simpson's Stern Growl of Disapproval on watching a film "in the background"; movies are meant to be watched with one's full attention!).

As for the kids, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY do not allow them access to the same account you are using for your business!! You are BEGGING for something awful to happen. Set them (at least!) with their own LIMITED account and be sure (via a password-required screensaver or auto logout via hot corner or some such) that they cannot access "your" account.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the informative reply. I have now password protected my account and provided a guest account for the kids.

Wonderful to be able to come to my desk and find it as left, instead of multiple Facebook and youtube windows!!

I will implement your advice as soon as I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You will spend more time chasing and re arranging windows than the time it takes to type in a short password for your User area when using fast User switching. Just remember to go to Apple menu to Log Out a User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8
I normally have 6-8 windows open in order to assist in the running of a small business and like to have business and personal diaries open, along with my online invoicing, Finder and a couple of Safari Browser windows and occasionally, a film window! This enables me to switch swiftly between the applications, copy and paste and if time allows, watch a film in the background.

If somebody can suggest a more effective method I am all ears. I'm aware of spaces, but as yet, haven't investigated. Any info on that software would be appreciated.

I run the business from my home which means my children, partner and personal assistant have access to my computer. Mine is the most user friendly desk to work at thanks to the 30' screen. I prefer not to password protect the computer as I find it irritating having to enter a password each time I need to use my computer. ( I will admit I am almost at the point where I will adopt this option. I have it on the shiny new MacBook Pro, but that is a secondary computer.)

Thank you to those of you who have already helped.

Our mac here at home cost over £1000. So for the sake of entering a password for your own security isnt really much to ask.

But setting up user accounts I think you can turn the password option on or off anyway but in my opinion a password is good for security of the sysyem and files.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Passwords, Spaces etc.

Thanks for all the info. Have quickly gotten used to entering passwords and therefore remaining sane each time I return to my computer!

I am also making use of Spaces now and welcome not having to resize application windows so often.

Tabs in Safari is also extremely useful.

Was aware of these but just hadn't explored them as they were outside my comfort zone!

Once again, to one and all, thanks for the assistance. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.