• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Teen wants to start filming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Running Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Hey guys! Well as it says I am a freshman looking to start filming. I always dreamed of making videos and becoming an editor/director and become part of the youtube top dogs, but I just don't know how to get there. I have a tripod, JVC GRDA30U camcorder, and Final Cut Express. I do some things on the side like filming random things like me skateboarding but I want to start to do shorts. How would I get my friends to help? It would be kind of weird to just ask them, "Hey do you wanna do a movie?" And my parents are kind of iffy on the idea of a youtube channel. I really like writing scripts and planning things out but would that seem weird to make a script to a short movie? Thanks for reading this guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
If you want your friends to help you out doing a movie of you all skateboarding you should just ask them If they would want to be on YouTube showing off their skateboarding skills to the world I'm sure they would say yes if they are good enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB-Pro (2006), 13" MB-Pro (2010)
Just pack your video camera every where you go incase you see something film-worthy. I did the same thing when I started filming. I make skate videos all day every day. Most people jump at the oppurtunity to be the center of attention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I know asking people for help in making your production may seem intimidating, but look at it this way - right now you're asking friends - that's relatively easy as they know you and already have a relationship with you. Getting comfortable asking them to participate is a first step to being able to ask a stranger to participate as some day you'll need to entice people who you don't know to participate in your projects.

C

chas_m

If your friends are shy, perhaps some of them could be BEHIND the camera helping you. Not everybody is that outgoing or comfortable on camera, and some fear looking foolish.

But I certainly encourage you to keep developing your ideas, writing stuff out and planning. Most Hollywood directors (particularly the interesting ones like John Waters and Tim Burton) did *exactly* the same things at your age. It teaches you a lot of skills that will come in handy later regardless of what you end up doing with your life.

My general advice would be to start modestly. Rather than trying to do a whole YouTube channel, just post some occasional things that you think are good enough for mass interest up there from time to time (you can always add them to a "channel" later when you have built up a collection). Mostly the "secret" to good YouTube videos is good lighting, good sound, clever idea and SHORT. Did I mention short? Short is generally a good idea.

I also second AirAssaultDude's suggestion, but of course with the caveat that you need people's explicit permission to film them. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
I'm in high school too comicstix, and my best advice to you is to make a video whenever you get the chance and make it good, you should be proud of the vids you create. Experience and practice can teach you a lot about how to develop your filming/editing skills.

Many of the movies I've made have actually been for school projects, so if you can come up with a way to script a project, I'm sure your teacher would let you make a video on it. Most of the time these are group projects, so there's your actors taken care of!

C

chas_m

VERy good idea, iZach. When I was in drama I would have appeared in a video at the drop of a hat. Free talent pool! :)

Reaction score
All you can do is experiment with the process. See what works what doesn't

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
SHORT. Did I mention short? Short is generally a good idea.

Whats a general consensus on Short ??
Not being funny here either. 5 mins, 3mins
I as one would be interested.

Tropfest short??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
If you aren't willing to ask others to help you then you basically have two options left....

1. You film yourself as you play each and every part, which will be time consuming and likely weird.

2 You forgo live action and wet your feet doing animation, which will be time consuming but can be useful in learning some basics you would later use in a live action film.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Whats a general consensus on Short ??
Not being funny here either. 5 mins, 3mins
I as one would be interested.

Tropfest short??

The Academy Awards rules state that it may be no longer than 40 minutes including all credits... I don't think there is a lower limit on how long it has to be. In general most serious short films are probably averaging 20 to 30 minutes in length.... But there are certainly shorter one.

C

chas_m

YouTube has a limit of 10 minutes.

I have found in making my own videos that the idea ITSELF will usually try to let you know how much or little it will take to get the point across.

Today's audiences are, if I may be blunt, riddled with short attention spans. They don't appear to need as much setup as generations past, and prefer that one gets to the point fairly quickly. So in a cheap video with no budget (and thus a lack of good resources for lighting, sound, dubbing, location etc), unless the whole thing is hilarious or thrilling right from the get-go you'll probably want to keep it as short as possible.

These guys are local to me and I think they've very much got the right idea, perhaps it will provide some inspiration, check em out: LoadingReadyRun - New hilarious sketch comedy every Monday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.