Parallels or similar apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
Hey guys I was wondering if you guys know if parallels is the only software of it's kind or if there may be a free program out there that does the exact same thing. Any info is helpful! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you guys know if parallels is the only software of it's kind or if there may be a free program out there that does the exact same thing. Any info is helpful! Thanks!

VirtualBox is a free application that does what Parallels does.

VirtualBox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I run both Parallels and VMWare..(I do digital forensics, so I need a few different options). I have to say, running both the same Win OS's side by side, as much as I like VMWare, Parallels performes much better. That's just me. And to be honest, I have always been a fan of VMWare.

OP
audiofader
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
Thanks for the info guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I run both Parallels and VMWare..(I do digital forensics, so I need a few different options). I have to say, running both the same Win OS's side by side, as much as I like VMWare, Parallels performes much better. That's just me. And to be honest, I have always been a fan of VMWare.

I agree 100%.

Reaction score
So how does virtual box do performance wise compared to Parallels? I used parallels before on a friends macbook, a while back, running xp, and the speed was suprisingly fast IMO. I heard they have good DX support as well.

I have seen the free Virtual Box, and it looks quality. But is it slower? I was thinking of taking advantage of the student pricing for windows 7, and setting up a virtual machine..

It would be purely for fun though....because OSX can handle anything I want to do...

I really have no reason for it, except for the wow factor lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.