What do I need?

Reaction score
I currently do not own a mac of any kind. A friend let me use his macbook with Imovie to create a dvd and I must admit it was the easiest and best dvd I have ever created. Stuff that was taking me weeks to create with sony vegas was taking hours with the Imovie. So my question is what apple computer can I get cheap($300 range) that will run this program. I was told to get one with an Intel processor but anything with the Intel is way too much. I don't need a laptop I have monitors and keyboards for a mini mac or power mac. Thanks For your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
nevermind. but while I am here , Welcome aboard

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
There are no Macs for $300 and they all have Intel processors now, except for older used models which you may be able to find on ebay. The very cheapest new one you can get is the Mac Mini, which is just the CPU. It's around $600 and you have to supply your own monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
There are no Macs for $300 and they all have Intel processors now, except for older used models which you may be able to find on ebay. The very cheapest new one you can get is the Mac Mini, which is just the CPU. It's around $600 and you have to supply your own monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

The CPU is the actual processor itself, I knew what you meant, but someone else might get confused... it's "just the tower." It's got a HDD, RAM, GPU, and CPU, not to mention tons of other stuff. :) But good point.

OP
D
Reaction score
I am looking for a used one mainly to use the imovie and idvd programs. My question is can the older mac minis with the g4 run the programs or do I have to have the intel proceessor? I hope to purchase a new one in the future but financially it is not an option at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, here's the requirements for iLife '09. I believe it is the only one you can purchase from Apple these days. Maybe you can find '08 for sale on e-bay or something??
System Requirements

Mac OS X v10.5.6 Leopard or later
Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor.; iMovie requires an Intel-based Mac, Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster); GarageBand Learn to Play requires an Intel-based Mac with a dual-core processor or better.
512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended. High-definition video requires at least 1GB of RAM.
Approximately 4GB of available disk space.
DVD drive required for installation.
QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included).
AVCHD video requires a Mac with an Intel-based Core Duo processor or better. Visit iMovie ’09 Camcorder Support for details on digital video device and format support.
24-bit recording in GarageBand requires a Mac OS X compatible audio interface with support for 24-bit audio. Please consult the owners manual or manufacturer directly for audio device specification and compatibility.
Burning DVDs requires an Apple SuperDrive or compatible third-party DVD burner.
Some features require Internet access and/or MobileMe; additional fees and terms apply.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.