Macbook Pro 13.3" Hard Drive/RAM

Reaction score
Hello all, this would be my first post, hopefully I've found the right community for myself.

My question is, what is the biggest hard drive that is possible to put in my MBP. I know it can't have the 750GB drive that's in the 17"; therefore I'm guessing 500GB. Also, I'm looking to upgrade my RAM to 4GB, as I purchased the base model 13.3". Reason being, I fell asleep on my last MBP (I'm a big guy) and broke the side of the actual LCD. So I know its cheaper to build something just as equivalent minus screen size, for alot cheaper than Apple charges to buy ready in the box. If anyone can answer my RAM and Hard Drive question, I would really appreciate it, I've called the Apple Store in my area, but they refuse to give me a straight answer everytime I call.

Thank you ahead of time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I believe the biggest drive is indeed a 500GB. The 750GB drive you're referring to is 12.5mm and as I understand it, won't fit in most slim notebooks. There are also a couple of 640GB drives, but I have read that the WD Blue model has some compatibility issues on Macs. Samsung also makes a 640GB drive, but Samsung drives are absolute garbage and I wouldn't recommend storing any data you care about on one.

The memory is a no-brainer, you can definitely pick it up from Crucial.com or otherworldcomputing.com for a fraction of what Apple charges.

I'd recommend going with the smallest drive and memory configuration you can and upgrading later. I just picked up this Hitachi 500GB drive and have been very pleased with it in terms of speed as well as quiet operation and no vibration whatsoever.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply, I'll probably end up going for that Hitachi. Now as for the RAM, what do you recommend? Apple said they could upgrade me for $100 after the old memory rebate. I purchased my MBP from Fry's Electronics, so it's not directly from Apple, but how hard will it be to install the HDD and the RAM? I would do it myself as I'm pretty handy with computers but I don't want to void my warranty. However if I do get Apple to do it, nothing will be harmed warranty-wise.

This whole thing is a bunch of technicalities.

So I apologize ahead of time, before this gets really confusing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I believe the biggest drive is indeed a 500GB. The 750GB drive you're referring to is 12.5mm and as I understand it, won't fit in most slim notebooks. There are also a couple of 640GB drives, but I have read that the WD Blue model has some compatibility issues on Macs. Samsung also makes a 640GB drive, but Samsung drives are absolute garbage and I wouldn't recommend storing any data you care about on one.

The memory is a no-brainer, you can definitely pick it up from Crucial.com or otherworldcomputing.com for a fraction of what Apple charges.

I'd recommend going with the smallest drive and memory configuration you can and upgrading later. I just picked up this Hitachi 500GB drive and have been very pleased with it in terms of speed as well as quiet operation and no vibration whatsoever.

I am thinking of getting a WD 320 gig at 7200rpms, but not for a while yet.

Anyway, the RAM thing is almost the same price crucial charges. I just upgraded to 4GB from them for 112 bucks pre shipping and tax. For Apple to install 4gigs on a MBP costs 100 bucks added on... not bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Thank you so much for your reply, I'll probably end up going for that Hitachi. Now as for the RAM, what do you recommend? Apple said they could upgrade me for $100 after the old memory rebate. I purchased my MBP from Fry's Electronics, so it's not directly from Apple, but how hard will it be to install the HDD and the RAM? I would do it myself as I'm pretty handy with computers but I don't want to void my warranty. However if I do get Apple to do it, nothing will be harmed warranty-wise.

This whole thing is a bunch of technicalities.

So I apologize ahead of time, before this gets really confusing.

No problem with either warranty or you doing it yourself.

Apple considers both the HDD and RAM as enduser upgradable so it wont effect your warranty.

And as for how hard it is , well you will be able to do both in under an hour including cloning the new drive,

Hope it helps

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
I bought the seagate 640 gig external, cloned my drive to the 640 and then installed that. I then took the 250 that was in my notebook and slapped it in the enclosure.

640 in my MacBook and a 250 external :)

happy times.. Lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.