First I'd like to welcome myself, and gmail/mail question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Hey guys!

So I'm a PROUD owner of a macbook pro 15.4" and after making the switch from a windows 7 notebook to this, I'll never go back!!

I just finished setting up my mail on here (with the mac mail program) with my .gmail account and whenever I reply or even begin to reply to a message (before sending it) I get drafts sent to my blackberry inbox.

It's odd because If i go to reply to a message, before I even hit "send" they are popping up in my blackberry inbox/messages..

Is there some type of filter I need to use or even do this on the sprint/blackberry end?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're not supposed to "Welcome" yourself...others are supposed to do that...you're supposed to "introduce" yourself (if you want).;)

In any case...welcome to MacForums!:)

- Nick

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I new i screwed that up somehow.. haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Welcome aboard

clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I knew i screwed that up somehow.. haha.

I don't think you "screwed up" at all - I thought it was very amusing. Why wait for tardy M-F members to welcome you, exercise some DIY! :D

But to your question - I don't use Apple Mail at all, and I'm trapped in the Tiger time warp, but I'd suggest that somewhere in Mail preferences/settings, eg. Composing, something like 'Automatically Cc myself' has been set.

But why to your Blackberry? Have you somehow synced the two devices, ie. your MBPro and the BB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB OS X 10.5.8
I don't use Apple Mail either, but it sounds like you're using it in IMAP mode with the Gmail server rather than in POP3 mode which may be what you're used to. IMAP maintains more of a sync behavior with the Gmail server so that (almost) as soon as something changes on either the host or client side, it is replicated on the client or host side, respectively. I assume you have your Blackberry syncing with Gmail, so that's why the changes show up there so quickly, even before hitting send.

I'm using IMAP in Thuderbird on my computers and sync to Gmail with a Blackberry for continuous mobile access, and using IMAP mode took some getting used to. I'm still getting used to it and may still switch back to POP3 if I don't learn how to use it right.

I'm not an IMAP expert either, so I may have said something wrong about how it works.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use Apple Mail either, but it sounds like you're using it in IMAP mode with the Gmail server rather than in POP3 mode which may be what you're used to. IMAP maintains more of a sync behavior with the Gmail server so that (almost) as soon as something changes on either the host or client side, it is replicated on the client or host side, respectively. I assume you have your Blackberry syncing with Gmail, so that's why the changes show up there so quickly, even before hitting send.

I'm using IMAP in Thuderbird on my computers and sync to Gmail with a Blackberry for continuous mobile access, and using IMAP mode took some getting used to. I'm still getting used to it and may still switch back to POP3 if I don't learn how to use it right.

I'm not an IMAP expert either, so I may have said something wrong about how it works.

yup, that's it.. I'm using my gmail as IMAP.. how do I switch it to pop3?

thank you again, at least now i know where to start.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just finished setting up my mail on here (with the mac mail program) with my .gmail account and whenever I reply or even begin to reply to a message (before sending it) I get drafts sent to my blackberry inbox.

It's odd because If i go to reply to a message, before I even hit "send" they are popping up in my blackberry inbox/messages..
I don't know if this will fix your issue but you could try this: Mail > Preferences > Accounts > uncheck "Store draft messages on the server". Again, I'm not sure if that will work but this might explain why drafts are being seen on your BB.

Note that unchecking that will prevent drafts from being saved on the server - if you write a draft, it won't appear anywhere but on your Mac (which may or may not be a problem).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It can be changed in your Gmail account settings from the Gmail webmail interface itself .

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if this will fix your issue but you could try this: Mail > Preferences > Accounts > uncheck "Store draft messages on the server". Again, I'm not sure if that will work but this might explain why drafts are being seen on your BB.

Note that unchecking that will prevent drafts from being saved on the server - if you write a draft, it won't appear anywhere but on your Mac (which may or may not be a problem).

I'll give it a try and see if that works, thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.