Airport Express

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I have an airport express question. I read some of the information about the airport express on the apple webpage and spoke to the people at the Mac store, and I seem to be getting conflicting information.

Currently i have a Linksys Wireless Router and 4 port switch (WRT54G) connected to my Linksys Cable Modem (BEFCMU10). My current systems on the network are my iMac (wireless), IBM Thinkpad (wireless), and my XBox (Ethernet).

I wanted to add a Airport Express to my network setup in a client mode to the linksys. It is my understanding that when I do that, the Ethernet port becomes a LAN port, not a WAN port. So my question is does that mean I can connect my XBox into that LAN port and use the Airport Express as a Ethernet to Wireless Bridge?

Thanks,
Ray

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I just tossed this together in Visio to give you a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish

Home Network.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I think I have my answer, but I am still looking for more information.

It seems what I am trying to do, is possible, but not with the equipment I have. If I continue to use the Linksys Wireless Router and my Airport is just a client, then the Ethernet port isn't used, so if I was to plug my Xbox in, nothing would happen.

So, in my searches for information, it looks like there are 2 solutions, one expensive, and one not so expensive.

Expensive and Clean:
To accomplish what I want, it looks like I would need to replace my Linksys with the Airport Base Station and then setup Wireless Distribution System (WDS) between the Airport Express and the Airport Base Station, using the Express as a remote.

Or,

Less Expensive and not as Clean (Aka, more clutter)
I could just purchase a Linksys Wireless G Game Adapter (Or comparable product) and use the Airport Express just for playing airtunes.

I haven't made up my mind on which direction I am going to go yet and want to do alittle more research on the topic, but just wanted to give you an update.

Thanks,
Ray

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like my search for information has ended. I found the FAQ on the Apple Webpage (funny, I searched there before but it didn't find it) located here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108038

I'll give you the short versions of the info from the FAQ:

Question: Can AirPort Express act as a bridge?

Answer: AirPort Express can act as a bridge in three different ways:
  • If you have an existing wired network, it can bridge this network to wireless clients.
  • If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wired clients.
  • If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wireless clients (or "wirelessly extend" the range of the network).
Question: Can AirPort Express be used for a Wireless Distribution System (WDS)?

Answer: Yes. AirPort Express can be a WDS main, remote, or relay station. It can function as a WDS main whether or not you are using it as a router to share your Internet connection (NAT).
Question: Can networkable game consoles and digital video recorders join my network via AirPort Express?

Answer: Yes, if you have the proper network adapters for your devices and have set them up properly. They can connect wirelessly when AirPort Express is your only base station or when it's in WDS mode. They can connect via wire when AirPort Express is a WDS remote (the reason for this is described in the next question). They cannot connect either way when AirPort Express is in client mode.
Question: Since AirPort Express only has one Ethernet port, does it act as a LAN port, WAN port, or both?

Answer: Depending on how you have it set up, the Ethernet port can function as a LAN port (defined as either simple bridging or sharing your Internet connection via network address translation) or a WAN port (connecting to your broadband Internet service provider or upstream router). However, it never acts as both simultaneously in the way that the original AirPort Base Station (Graphite) can. When the AirPort Express is using network address translation, the Ethernet port acts as a WAN port. When it is set up as a WDS remote station, it can act as a LAN port. Assuming that your Internet service provider only gives you one IP address (the most common scenario for homes), this means that AirPort Express can only accommodate wired clients when acting as a WDS remote base station or bridge. Therefore, if you need to support wired clients and only want to get one base station (or router, as it's the routing capacity of AirPort Express that is relevant here), you should get the AirPort Extreme Base Station instead.

So, it looks like I am just going to stick with my current setup as the Airport express isn't going to deliver that much for me outside of streaming the audio from iTunes to my stereo. Currently I do the same with my iPod Mini and Stereo adapter.

I hope this information helps out someone else. Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
RGertner said:
Currently i have a Linksys Wireless Router and 4 port switch (WRT54G) connected to my Linksys Cable Modem (BEFCMU10). My current systems on the network are my iMac (wireless), IBM Thinkpad (wireless), and my XBox (Ethernet).

I don't think you can use WDS with anything other than Apple at the moment (Airport Expresses and Base Stations only) I could be wrong.

You don't have to get a base station to replace the linksys, you can get an Express instead. Because your iMac and Thinkpad are wireless, you don't need the ethernet port to be LAN, so you'll use it on your cable modem as WAN base station, then setup WDS for the other Airport Express as a remote base station. On the remote AE, use the ethernet port for your XBox.

My setup consists of a Base Station on the DSL modem, LAN port goes to a switch, trunked to my shop for servers and clients, and an Airport Express sitting in my entertainment center with TOSLINK fiber to my surround sound system for AirTunes, the ethernet port goes to a Netgear switch in the entertainment center for Xbox, PS2, future upgrades, etc... Works nicely.

I will eventually an AE in my kids room for their iMac Rev A. so they can get online, but not yet. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IanCT said:
I don't think you can use WDS with anything other than Apple at the moment (Airport Expresses and Base Stations only) I could be wrong.

You are Correct, WDS with AE only works with other AE's or Base Stations.

You don't have to get a base station to replace the linksys, you can get an Express instead. Because your iMac and Thinkpad are wireless, you don't need the ethernet port to be LAN, so you'll use it on your cable modem as WAN base station, then setup WDS for the other Airport Express as a remote base station. On the remote AE, use the ethernet port for your XBox.

Correct, but that would mean that I am getting rid of a perfectly good Linksys and replacing is with 2 AE's or an AE and Base Station.

My setup consists of a Base Station on the DSL modem, LAN port goes to a switch, trunked to my shop for servers and clients, and an Airport Express sitting in my entertainment center with TOSLINK fiber to my surround sound system for AirTunes, the ethernet port goes to a Netgear switch in the entertainment center for Xbox, PS2, future upgrades, etc... Works nicely.

Sounds like a nice setup.

I was only considering the AE because they have some on sale for $79 at my local Apple stores that were returns. If i could have added itunes and Bridged the Ethernet, it would allow more flexibility with a small investment. But with requiring either double the AE's or replacing a perfectly good Linksys, I don't see the point just to end up with AirTunes into my Stereo that is connected to my iPod anyway. Thanks for the idea's Though.

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
RGertner said:
Correct, but that would mean that I am getting rid of a perfectly good Linksys and replacing is with 2 AE's or an AE and Base Station.

Yes, I only mentioned it because you brought up getting a base station, I thought I'd throw that idea out there to you, if it worked you wouldn't have to spend more money on the base station.

Happy to provide the idea though. :)

Regards,
-IanCT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
im not sure if this is what youre asking, but WDS (client mode) is most definitely possible with an airport express and a non Apple base station. I currently have my APX running in WDS mode with a Moto wr850g router. Maybe this site will help you click!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.