Connecting 2 Macs to the internet...

pod

Reaction score
Wireless nubee here...

I have a G3 600mhz slot loading iMac running 0S9.2.2. I now also have a 1.25mhz 20" widescreen G4 iMac, running OSX 10.3.9. I want both of them to be able to freely connect to the internet (they do not need to be able to communicate with each other but maybe share a printer and an iPod). I currently have ye olde dial up internet connection but am getting broadband.

Can the above be achieved more easily and with less hassle with 'cables' - or should I go 'Wireless/Airport'? Will it even work if the older G3 remains running OS9.2.2 - or should they both be running OSX? What about Airport cards... Airport Extreme... AGHHHHHH! Any advice from the forums?

E

EvoMac

The easiest way if they are located close together is pick up a wired broadband router and run 1 ethernet cable to each. They are not intrusive and can pretty much get them in any color of your liking to match.

I could be wrong but I think that OS 9.2.2 is a bit dated for wireless connection. You would probably have to upgrade up to OSX.

The airport cards seem to be selling cheaper and cheaper since now all macs pretty much come with the airport card already installed. I wouldn't however puchase the airport router. Pick up a D-Link or Linksys they are just as good (and have wired connection as well) & are much cheaper.

B

badmojo

pod said:
Wireless nubee here...

I have a G3 600mhz slot loading iMac running 0S9.2.2. I now also have a 1.25mhz 20" widescreen G4 iMac, running OSX 10.3.9. I want both of them to be able to freely connect to the internet (they do not need to be able to communicate with each other but maybe share a printer and an iPod). I currently have ye olde dial up internet connection but am getting broadband.

Can the above be achieved more easily and with less hassle with 'cables' - or should I go 'Wireless/Airport'? Will it even work if the older G3 remains running OS9.2.2 - or should they both be running OSX? What about Airport cards... Airport Extreme... AGHHHHHH! Any advice from the forums?

Depends on a couple things here:

1) First of all, you'll need a router to connect to your cable/DSL modem. I'd choose a wireless model because most today permit you to connect up to 4 computers, wired, and more wireLESS. Get a "54 G"-style router (most are today), and check to see that it offers "WPA" security (encryption). All will offer "WEP" but the WPA is the most secure for wireless networking today. You can buy a router from almost anyone, including Apple and they are very inexpensive.

For instance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143

2) I can't speak for the G3 and wireless connectivity, but you may be able to use a ""Wireless USB Adapter" for it. I just don't know if some sort of wireless solution (from Apple) is available for that machine. If you can install the Airport on the G4, you should be good to go.

3) Wired is usually faster than wireless, and generaly more secure, too. If you're workspace is wired for ethernet, I'd run hardlines to your computers. If not, or it's inconvenient to run cabling, then go wireless. Purely a subjective decision.

While the internet is awesome at high speed, it's a lot more dangerous too. Set up your network security well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.