You need to restart your computer

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a Kernel Panic. Kernel Panics are often caused by hardware issues.

Have you added any RAM to the Macbook Pro since you purchased it new?

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes it came with 2gb and i have upgraded it to 4gb.

would you like to see the kernel panic report?

do you think i should make an appointment with the genius bar at my local apple store.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the Kernel Panic happening over and over or just that one time? If just once, if it happens again I would take out the new RAM and put in the old 2GB and see if that solves it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Seeing the kernel panic report couldn't hurt. KPs are sometimes caused by non-hardware issues - I had a KP a while back and it was fixed by repairing permissions.

OP
C
Reaction score
its happened twice, it happened about two months ago and today.

Im not sure but could my audio interface have something to do with it. when i plugged it into the usb it happened....its a native instruments, Audio 8 Dj

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it happened before you put the new RAM in, then it is most likely something else (unless both the RAM and this other issue are causing the problem). The audio interface could very well be the problem - does it have drivers and have you installed (all of) them correctly? Is this device know to work with Snow Leopard (or whatever version of OS X you are using)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey Vansmith...you're confusing me with the new avatar! That Maple Leaf should at least have a "beard" on it!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Im using Snow Leopard 10.6.2.
I have just ran a Apple Hardware Test by restarting and holding down D and the test results came back all clear.

Yes the drivers are all installed but i did reinstall them last week and it didnt install properly so that might be the problem, so i will re install them again. but yes it is compatible with snow leopard

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A bad driver install could very well be the problem especially if the drivers install kernel extensions (which it likely does if you're getting KPs). Make sure to re-install them and only use the device after a successful install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its happened twice, it happened about two months ago and today.

This is pretty infrequent. You definitely got a kernel panic...but usually kernel panics occur more frequently. Most users with kernel panic issues get them within like 30-60 minutes of turning the computer on...and sometimes it only takes a few minutes.

My suggestion (like "dtravis7" already suggested)...remove all the new ram...leaving only the old ram in the computer...and see if things are more stable.

The only problem is...it seems that your kernel panics are very infrequent...and it may take a while to figure out if removing the new ram solved the problem.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
but i done a apple hardware test on start up by holding D and all the test results came up clear after 50 seconds of testing...wouldn't this show up any faults with the RAM?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some will say that the AHT may miss bad RAM (I've never run it nor have I had bad RAM so I can't speak to this). I would still suggest reinstalling those audio interface drivers as a first step - it's a lot easier than swapping out RAM and if the KPs really only happen when the device is plugged in, that is likely your cause. This might explain why the KPs are so infrequent as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would still suggest reinstalling those audio interface drivers as a first step - it's a lot easier than swapping out RAM and if the KPs really only happen when the device is plugged in, that is likely your cause. This might explain why the KPs are so infrequent as well.

That's a great idea Vansmith!.

"cojack298"...how often do you plug this external audio interface into your MacBook Pro? Is it often or very infrequently?

Kernel panics are usually hardware related...and like Vansmith suggested this audio interface could be the problem.

I might even suggest (to try to prove/disprove) that the problem is this external audio interface...you could try restarting your computer, plug in the external audio interface...and see if you get a kernel panic. If you get a kernel panic...then unplug the audio interface, restart the laptop...and see if you get a kernel panic without the audio interface plugged in.

Another suggestion could be...unplug the external audio interface...uninstall the software drivers for it...and see if you get any kernel panics.

If you still get kernel panics without the audio interface plugged in & the drivers removed...then that could point back to the ram.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I used the interface everyday and night for djing and dont usually have a problem, its only happened twice when i plugged it in.

I think i will go to the apple store and see if the can have a look at my mac.

Thanks very much for the help :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used the interface everyday and night for djing and dont usually have a problem, its only happened twice when i plugged it in.

I think i will go to the apple store and see if the can have a look at my mac.

Thanks very much for the help :)

If this is the case...then it may point back to the ram.

The problem with electronic hardware is one day everything can work fine...and the next day "SNAP" something can "die" on you causing problems.

Troubleshooting is not always easy. You never told us the what model MacBook Pro you have or if it's still covered under warranty...but if you still have warranty DEFINITELY take to the Apple store to have it checked out.

If you don't have any warranty left...and don't mind paying to have it looked at..do that as well.

Good luck,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In this case, if it happened when the drivers were installed properly, I'm led to believe that the interface is not the problem. If that's the case, I would do as pigoo3 and dtravis7 have suggested - put the original RAM in and see if you get a KP. If not, it's likely that the RAM is causing your issues. Then again, if the issue only happens when you plug it in, it could still be the interface. What does the KP report say?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In this case, if it happened when the drivers were installed properly, I'm led to believe that the interface is not the problem. If that's the case, I would do as pigoo3 and dtravis7 have suggested - put the original RAM in and see if you get a KP. If not, it's likely that the RAM is causing your issues. Then again, if the issue only happens when you plug it in, it could still be the interface. What does the KP report say?

I think the biggest problem here (whether it's the audio interface or the ram)...is the "infrequency" of the kernel panics.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Hi,

I was using my macbook pro when suddenly a black warning message appeared on my screen.

I says ''You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.

This is a picture of it http://www.community-media.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/kernel_panic.jpg

Can someone tell me what could cause this problem.

Thanks
Happened to me too...brand new MBP never upgraded, was happening 2-3 times a day. took to apple they re-installed OS and works perfect now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the biggest problem here (whether it's the audio interface or the ram)...is the "infrequency" of the kernel panics.

- Nick
Yeah, it's the lack of frequency that's confusing me. To the OP, here is an article about how to get KP log info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.