am i hosed?

Reaction score
i bought a mac book pro on ebay with applecare with a 7200rpm hdd it was supposed to be nib on the box it came in it says 5400rpm and in the system preferences it says its a 7200 rpm drive so does this mean this guy changed the drive if so does this mean my apple care is void. i am really bummed about this and i am kinda ******. i just found out tonight and my time to send the laptop back is over by a few days.. and what if this guy put in some crappy drive.. man am i mad..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
No, changing the HDD or RAM doesn't void the warranty.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
this guy who sold me this should have really told me he was doing this though. the only reason i even noticed is because i was looking for the cloth that was supposed to be in the box and it isnt there. what a jerk man..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this guy who sold me this should have really told me he was doing this though. the only reason i even noticed is because i was looking for the cloth that was supposed to be in the box and it isnt there. what a jerk man..

I think the 7200 rpm might be an original drive that came with the 17'. The 500GB 7200 rpm is an optional drive he might have selected when he 'build' for purchase from Apple.

Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

this is what drive it is i found the model number in profiler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

this is what drive it is i found the model number in profiler

The original 160GB drive that was in my MBP13 was a Seagate also

The dude is probably ball'n with tears right now cause he had sold his 17" baby =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I can completely understand your frustration if you were sold something different from what was advertised. However, if you like the machine and the price you paid, then this might not be a dealbreaker. In the event you decide that dealing with the original seller is going to be a hassle...

I just bought a new 500gb 7200rpm drive at CompUSA for $75 after rebate. (They are selling for more than that on ebay.) A used 500gb 5400rpm drive would probably sell for $60 on ebay. For a $20 loss, you could have a brand new drive like the one you wanted and move on...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5509442&CatId=2682

EDIT: Just realized, today is the last day of the sale...

C

chas_m

I'm not clear on what the problem is ... either the original owner got a "silent upgrade," or he replaced the original 5400RPM drive with a faster (and perhaps larger) 7200RPM drive ... I may be missing something here but seems to me you got the right end of the bargain ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm not clear on what the problem is ... either the original owner got a "silent upgrade," or he replaced the original 5400RPM drive with a faster (and perhaps larger) 7200RPM drive ... I may be missing something here but seems to me you got the right end of the bargain ...

Sorry, don't see the dilemma here either. You got a free upgrade. My upgrade to a 7200 from a 5400 RPM drive almost halved the boot time and practically every app on my machine launches at least 1/3 faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It reads to me that:

1) The auction claimed a New In Box Mac w/ 7200rpm drive

2) The item that arrived contained said 7200rpm drive, but the actual computer box itself had specs printed on it that stated the computer came with a 5400 rpm drive.

3) The screen cleaning cloth was missing.

So it seems that the OP is concerned that the laptop was really not New In Box because it appears that the hard drive, although specified as a 7200 in the auction (and what is in the system) was not the original drive from the manufacturer implying that the system is not really "new in box".

To the OP: There are several of possibilities.

It's possible he bought it at a store, bought a hard drive upgrade which was installed at the store, then later decided he didn't want it (as an example, I have a Mac Mini that I bought new, it came with 2 gig RAM, I had it upgraded at the store to 4 Gig (I didn't want to crack the case as getting into a mini is a pain) - technically since it was upgraded by the store one could argue it's still NIB since I hadn't opened it yet, but really since the box was opened, it's probably best to consider it LNIB).

It's possible he bought it, bought a bigger/better hard drive and installed it himself (really not a difficult task on current gen Macbook/Macbook Pro (not like a powerbook where you had to dig into it to get to the hard drive))

Either way, there aren't too many 500 GB 7200rpm laptop drives on the market, and from what it sounds, you got a seagate drive, which is - from reviews - a good drive.

You can always ask the seller why there was a discrepancy between what is printed on the box vs what was in the box - but it's not like there was something better that was made lesser, it was something lesser that was made better. At best case scenario - you're overreacting to a situation that isn't a problem. At worst case, the seller has a different interpretation of NIB then most people and should have listed it as LNIB (Like New In Box). Not knowing what you paid for it, I can only assume, either way, you probably got a decent deal otherwise you probably wouldn't have placed a bid on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
I wouldn't get too mad and I'll tell you why. I bought a 13" unibody at an apple store in early 09' and on the box it said "5400rpm 250g hd" and what I found was, it had a "320g 7200rpm hd" installed. I think what happens in manufacturing is they run out of the drives they use the most of and instead of holding up the line which would cost more money than the difference in price of the drive upgrade. So it may be "factory virgin install"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP is concerned that with a different drive than the one labeled on the box that it would 'void' the all import AppleCare warranty. Should something happen along the way. Even though it's an upgrade from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, but as stated already... it doesn't void AppleCare. It's a free upgrade. Does the machine work? Does it feel really fun to use? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then quit your crying. I realize your concern, but we have laid that to rest since the warranty is still in tact.

If you're worried that this guy may have been lying to you, why don't you call Apple and see if there is still Apple Care for your serial number?

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
i have called apple and i do have applecare on the unit. however i bout a system with full applecare warranty and now i have a system with applecare warranty that excludes the hdd. am i wrong in assuming this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Not if Apple installed the drive, which they may have.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
i called apple again with all my questions i asked here. they said the drive is a aftermarket drive but it doesnt matter because it is still covered under there policy. they just will only put a 5400 drive in it if it has to be replaced. but now the other issue it that the guy i bought it from registered the unit under his name which makes him the owner of the system. at anytime he can get a refund on the applecare without me knowing about it. i have to have him send the original invoice to apple and transfer the ownership to me. but he already told me he wasnt going to do this before because he said there was no need. but he didnt tell me he could revoke the applecare..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Then there you go. You're A-OK. You got exactly what you ordered and everything is fine!

Correction: After reading about the seller... why won't he send the invoice?

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
i just had a communiqué with him and he now says he will take care of it tomorrow so it now sounds as if all is well..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.