• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Browsers

B

bebopredux

I love my G5. I love my 23" Cinema Display too. However, after a year it occurs to me that OSX just doesn't have a great net browser....yet.

I use Safari and like it's speed, looks etc; But.....it lets too many popup and popunders through. Also, I miss having extensions for Safari. Sure, there are a couple tweeks but, nothing like Firefox.

Firefox. I love it. On Panther it ran stellar. On Tiger I am having continued problems. It locks up a lot. I have uninstalled it several times but, this continues to occur. I have spoken with 3 other people who have the same problem.

OmniWeb. I bought it but, it too locked up on Tiger. I gave it 2 weeks but, nothing changed. Got my money back. I wanted OmniWeb to work so badly too.

Shiira. This has been a pleasant surprise. Never locks up. Worth checking out...you'd be surprised too.

Camino. By current favorite. Stable and fast. I miss the extensions on this as well. The popups still happen with this though.

Ultimately, OSX is missing THE browser. Safari SHOULD be it but, it acts like a beta product to me a lot of the time. There should be extensions for Safari IMO.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
That's the reason that I do not use Safari.. and currently I use Firefox, but I use Panther right now so Im not having those problems.

OP
B

bebopredux

Murlyn said:
That's the reason that I do not use Safari.. and currently I use Firefox, but I use Panther right now so Im not having those problems.
Has anyone else had issues with FF/Tiger? I'm curious as to whether there is a workaround. I've sent an email to the Mozilla Crew. Even the OmniWeb demo worked 100% on Panther but, with Tiger....no way.
I miss using FF on my Mac.

OP
T

Tel

I'm using Safari on Tiger and Command + K works fine blocking popups and if I need a popup (on certain sites, though not many) I just use the same command to disable it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I love safari 2.0 but i get a ton of lock up and that i hate

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
bebopredux said:
Has anyone else had issues with FF/Tiger? I'm curious as to whether there is a workaround. I've sent an email to the Mozilla Crew. Even the OmniWeb demo worked 100% on Panther but, with Tiger....no way.
I miss using FF on my Mac.

What's the problem with Firefox that you are having? Maybe we can help. :cool:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not had one lock up with Safari 2.0 since I installed Tiger the night it came out. It works so well in fact, I have not even messed with Firefox. I have not had one popup or popback on Safari 2.0 but have with Firefox 1.04 on the PC.

I will try out firefox in Tiger and see what happens.

OP
E

EvoMac

I actually prefer Camino over all of them, even Safari 2.0. The speed just isnt there with Safari and reminds me a bit too much like IE 6. Camino seems to actually run a little better on Tiger then it did before.

Camino, just for people who have not heard about it is another Mozilla based browser similar to Firefox, except has the Apple look to it. It is technically still beta but I haven't had any problems with it yet.

OP
K

Kokopelli

I waffle between Camino and Safari now. I generally prefer Camino but the daily builds had a bad series that got on my nerves so I switched to Safari. Really the only thing that is keeping me in Safari right now is the spell checker. For whatever reason I seem to make an undue amount of typos on the forums which I would just as soon avoid. If a stable release of Camino had spell check I would definitely jump on that.

I also use FireFox and have not had it lock up in Tiger yet. I mostly use it for banking and amnesiac activities. i.e. I set it to have no on disk caching, no history, no stored passwords, and it uses a TOR proxy. So there is no history of anything I do on that particular browser and it can not be traced. I don't use it too often though, mostly when I am surfing from a public place.

Just being curious, what sites do you all go to where the popups are not blocked? I will get one occasionally but it is less than once a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Popups with me using safari on 10.3.9 are extremely rare......less than once a week.

Gosh, I love safari, the only other browser I use is Camino.

OP
B

badmojo

I just loaded the newest Camino and it's pretty awesome. No more so than Safari really, but I was looking for an additional browser for my iMac. It's nice to have two. Tried IE5 today as well, and boy that sucked. Slow as ****.

OP
B

bebopredux

Have any of you tried Shiira?

From their site:

"Shiira is a web browser based on Web Kit and written in Cocoa. The goal of the Shiira Project is to create a browser that is better and more useful than Safari. All source code used in this software is publicly available."

The Tab Expose feature is cool.

As for what problems I am having with FF/Tiger? I will be browsing along OK until I start getting the "spinning pinwheel" with every click I make on FF. I have to force quit the browser and restart it. When I do, sometimes I can go along for a few hours without problems. But, eventually it happens again. With Panther, FF ran just great. FF runs 100% great on my PC but, it chokes on Tiger. Maybe the next release ( June ) will address this.

I am in agreement with others on Camino. For me anyway, it is the most stable browser on my Mac. Period. These developers deserve a round of applause for Camino.

As for Safari? I visit sooooo many sites that I cannot recall which ones have the popups. Popunders, same thing. I will say this though:

I help people get rid of spyware/adware on their PC's. It is an epidemic in every sense of the word. Older people are hit hard and it infuriates me to see this. I have been recommending people get Macs now. But, Safari doesn't do what it SHOULD do IMO. Their should be NO popups/popunders with a Mac machine using Safari. It's a key selling point for Macs and Safari is failing. I make mention of "no viruses, no adware, no spyware, no popups" in explaining the virtues of Mac/OSX. No excuse for Safari to allow a single popup/under. None. If FF has all these extensions and Apple has the best engineers then Safari should rule the roost. It isn't and I find this a bit puzzling. The RSS feed on Safari 2 is OK but, I could live without it over a complete ad-stopping machine. I expected more from Safari 2 actually. It should be more and it COULD be more. Let's hope Apple makes it the browser it can be....soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Its so new that Im sure it will evolve...time will tell

OP
L

Lila

Browsers on Tiger

I originally posted this question re browser problems on Tiger. I operate a Power G4 Quicksilver model. Since I upgraded to Tiger, I get continual messages that connecttion is refused whenever I click a link? This is true in both Camino and Firefox. As for Safari, I get continual message "Safari can't open page or can't find server? It is also painfully slow to load anything.
Also, Ihave a powerful DSL modem from Verizon. net. When I talk to their techs, they tell me that the only supported browser for Tiger are IE and Safari.
By the way, when I ran Panther I installed a number of features designed for Safari but none of them worked? I saw in an article somewhere yhat it is necessary to change port settings for Tiger. I tried doing so but still had problems, If anyone knows a fix for this I will be eternall gratefull. Also after refusal message when I go back and click the link we go through the connecting to whatever server I am trying to view. Thanks Lila :dummy:

Reaction score
Tel said:
I'm using Safari on Tiger and Command + K works fine blocking popups and if I need a popup (on certain sites, though not many) I just use the same command to disable it.
Exactly. I have never encountered one single problem with Safari, and as Tel stated, simply block the pop-ups save you need them on occasion.

I do not mess with any other browsers besides Safari, I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have to agree with Tel & Toyota on this one: Safari works perfectly for me.

I can't remember ever having any pop-up issues (maybe one or two in 2 months of heavy surfing) and the little features such as spell checking and the clean interface make it my favorite by far.

You're never going to be able to make a browser 100% pop-up free - there's so much money in the ad market that people are constantly searching for ways to bypass blockers...
I'm sure the pop-under issue will be fixed soon, but they'll think of something else soon enough.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I get way less PopUps or should I say PopBacks with Safari 2.0 then with Firefox 1.06 either on the PC or OSX. With Firefox I get a few PopBacks a day if I do a lot of surfing on the PC. I rarely see one on Safari 2.0. I visit the same sites on both systems. You people that are seeing a LOT of popups in Safari, do you have Popup Blocking turned on? File menu and make sure it's Checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Icicle said:
Its so new that Im sure it will evolve...time will tell

haha....he said..evolve. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Harryc said:
Why doesn't anyone ever talk about/recommend Opera. It is arguably a better and faster browser than all previously mentioned. They were giving away licenses last week.

http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=mac

I used Opera on my Mobile phone (Nokia 6600) and it worked nicely. Worth a shot to try out guys. it is pretty nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.