Next generation macbook air?

Reaction score
I would like to get a new computer before too long, but I want something better than the current release of macbook air, has anyone heard news of a next gen of them?

OP
I
Reaction score
Ya, I was more thinking when the next gen with a bigger hard drive would come out, I'd like it if I could have a 160 gb+ hard drive in it, I'll just keep waiting, my white macbook still works like a champ and probably will for years to come like macs do :) Thanks tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
I would like to see a new MacBook air as well but I don't think we will for a while as Apple have just brought out the new iPad so I think they will let the dust settle for a while.

Reaction score
Check the hardware forums and macrumors.com for discussion on the next MBA revision timing; not before end of March and likely second quarter 2010. The MBA has come under some competitive pressure from the Sony z series laptops so I do expect one fairly soon.

Cheers

Reaction score
For what it's worth, it's not too hard to put in a new drive. They can be big, and you can also change from an SSD pretty easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Didn't the Air sell very well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I would want one also, but waiting for Apple to at least upgrade the trackpad to the same at the rest of the line-up. It went from being the most innovative to the back of the pack.

Reaction score
Great computer, you could almost mistake it for a netbook..and that's okay. But, gee after what, 4 years, you would think they'd have redesigned it or something. I'd like to see some redesign, but what is there to change besides the drive and the trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I followed this model very closely in the beginning, then when they were released a good friend bought one. It's a good machine, yet clearly a showcase for Apples design expertise. With very limited ports, and other compromises to make it super thin, it is a bit limiting. Yet it's a fine machine when used as it was intended to be used. Now that some years have passed, I haven't followed any of the rumors of an upcoming refresh, or conversely... dropping it from the lineup. I'd truly like to see Apple either keep it and reduce the price, which is extremely unlikely, or do a few innovative changes to truly make it a fresh new version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to see a new MacBook air as well but I don't think we will for a while as Apple have just brought out the new iPad so I think they will let the dust settle for a while.

I agree completely, unfortunately I believe the debut of the iPad, is also pushing back the MacBook Pro refresh date. I'm very eager to pickup a Core i5 or i7 powered 17"MBP. I have had my new ThinkPad T510 with a Core i7 for a month now and it's a rocket. Plus the battery life is better than the C2D ThinkPad I bought last year. Lastly it also runs cooler and is the most significant performance increase in the last three years. Each year I buy the latest machine fully loaded with the fastest chip, lots of ram, and as of last year I've been using SSD's in place of a regular HDD. The speed is outstanding when configured that way. Since I always install the SSD's after I get the computer, it gives me a chance to see what the perfomance difference is like with identically configured ThinkPads (before I install the SSD) save for the chip. The Core Duo to Core 2 Duo speed increase was rather incremental and of little significance. However the move from C2D was dramatic, the Core i7 being so much faster. Thus I eagerly await the new MBP's equipped with this processor.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would buy a MacBook Air in a heartbeat with just a few minor changes, which I believe could be implemented quite easily (and help justify the premium price):

1. USB 3.0. USB3 would be a boon to the MBA, because it basically resolves 99% of the problems surrounding lack of ports on this machine. USB3 allows for enough bandwidth to make it possible to have several hubs hanging off the machine and still have enough bandwidth for external devices like HDDs, TV tuners and other bandwidth intensive peripherals. As it stands today, the single USB 2.0 port is limited to a max bandwidth of 480Mb/s, when you add a hub, you split the bandwidth by the number of ports - and it's possible to saturate that bus quickly, even with a lowly 5400rpm HDD.

2. Removable memory. It doesn't need to have more than a single slot to conserve space, but I can't bring myself to own a machine that can't even have the RAM upgrade. 2GB is fairly scant these days when most machines are shipping with 4GB+, especially for a premium priced machine.

3. The SuperDrive should be bundled in with the price of the machine. Quite frankly, charging an additional $99 for what is absolutely necessary to have the machine fully realize its potential is a crime, particularly at the original asking price of $1800. And for those of you that say "oh wait, can't you just use the Air Disc software?", remember that won't work with Boot Camp. So, if you want to install Windows, you'll have to pay the premium for the Super Drive - forget about generic optical drives and flash drives as the EFI is apparently rigged in such a way that it won't allow booting from either for the purposes of installing Windows. The Super Drive for the Air, just so happens to work - it's hard to believe that this is just an odd happenstance.

Reaction score
current evidence would suggest there isnt going to be a new one.

apple is far too busy chasing the nintendo ds and psp market these days.

that being said, they should at least slash the price of this antique computer instead of having the cheek to charge silly money for it by todays terms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
current evidence would suggest there isnt going to be a new one.

apple is far too busy chasing the nintendo ds and psp market these days.

that being said, they should at least slash the price of this antique computer instead of having the cheek to charge silly money for it by todays terms.
You have some very good points here.
I found it interesting and somewhat disappointing when the name was changed from Apple Computer to Apple Inc. It was not a surprise however, as the iPod, and iPhone now comprise so much of their revenue. Reinvented as an entertainment company of sorts, Apple is clearly in a very dynamic period of their history. While I'm presently returning to Apple (after an 8 year hiatus) with the purchase of a MacBook Pro as _one_ of my personal laptops, I have fond memories of many past PowerBooks. As a platform neutral enthusiast, I would like to hear more about your take on the direction Apple is headed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.