• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro Problem?

Reaction score
Hey everybody.
I recently bought Final Cut Pro and like the program a lot. I was examining with blood effects when I came across a problem. I exported the file using Quicktime Conversion (while I was still in FCP) and when I watched it after it was exported, black diagonal lines appeared on my screen when the blood effect activated. Any thoughts?

This is weird because I did a blood effect before using FCP, exported it, watched it, and there were NOT any black lines. Black lines only appeared the second time. I don't know what I did differently. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Have you tried exporting the video with no conversion and see if the same thing happens? if it doesn't then there was probably something in the settings of the conversion that caused it to make those artifacts apparent.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yeah I exported it regularly and there were no black lines, but I cannot upload it anywhere because of the video format (FCP format). I searched for video converters but I didn't find one that can convert that format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, then it was definitely something generated in the conversion - what settings were you using (bitrate, container, codec, etc.) for the conversion and what type of footage (ie: SD, 720, 1080, etc.)

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well the clip was shot in 1080, but since I'm kind of new to the whole FCP thing, I can't find out what to set the conversion in FCP to. I've been moving down the list of output formats but they all have black lines. I didn't check ALL of them yet. What would I need to set it to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those lines are weird. What is your target for what you want this video for? Youtube? or what?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well I just want to remove the lines. After I remove the lines, I want to edit it further in iMovie.

Once again, exporting it normally (NOT the quicktime conversion) does not show black lines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may sound stupid, but why do you want to then use iMovie to edit something from Final Cut? iMovie uses a lower quality codec, and if you're source is 1920x1080, it'll be reduced to 1440x1080 as that's the max rez for AIC used in iMovie...

But, if you really want to go that route, I'd export to either a quicktime movie with a specification of H.264 or Apple Intermediate Codec (make sure to also set your framerate as sometimes the exporter guesses wrong and makes the export look terrible) or export it as a mp4, make sure to go into the settings and set it for mp4 (not ISMA), video format H.264, bit rate a lot higher then 256K (more like 6000 - 14000 for 1080, you'll have to experiment to find what works the best for you, higher bit rates give better quality but dramatically increase filesize), make sure to set the proper size (it defaults to like 352x288), set the frame rate, etc.

Either export then try to import into iMovie. I've never tried to import a file with AIC video into iMovie - it may work since that's the codec iMovie uses for its HD video, but I can't say it will accept an import of a using that codec already.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I did your second option (export as an mp4, change all the settings). I was able to view the file in Quicktime (normally I cannot view my FCP files in Quicktime), but it still had black lines. I'm going to give your first option a try.

Thanks for this help btw.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I also tried your first suggestion, there were once again black lines.

This issue is really getting to me, I might just abort the entire thing. I mean, I exported a clip with a blood effect before and it had no black lines at all. I just don't know what I did differently.

OP
Z
Reaction score
My goal now is to upload the clip from FCP to youtube. I do not need it in iMovie anymore. Still, when I export the files there are black lines. Can I upload directly to youtube?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you'll need to transcode the footage from FCP - since you're using FCP, you should have a program called Compressor (which comes with Final Cut Studio) which is a very advanced transcoder that you can use to convert and compress your output footage. Make sure that when you generate your output that you have it in a format that youtube will accept (ie: using H.264 codec, etc. - check youtubes site for acceptable containers and codecs)

OP
Z
Reaction score
Okay.

Once again, every single format besides a FCP format shows black lines. In FCP it does not, if I export it as anything else it does.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I figured that the black lines could possibly be the borders of the blood effect box. Other
than drastically increases the blood box to go off screen, is there a way to get rid of the black lines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, Is this FCP 6 or FCP 7?

OP
Z
Reaction score
It's FCP 6.

Well I finally figured out what it was. It did end up being the borders of the blood box. I just cropped the box from each side a little bit to make those lines go away. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear it worked out - weird about the borders. I wonder why they showed - I was asking about version of FCP 'cause I was going to look if I had it or not as an effect (I rarely use may of the additional effects)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.