Google mail on Mail app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz/Mac OSX 10.6/128 GB HD SSD/NVIDIA Geforce 9400M/External drive WD HDD 500 Gb
Hi Guys!
I have added my Gmail account on Mail, now... when I delete the mails on mail, in a few time it seems to restore the deleted mails from the google server... If I want to delete the mails, I have to login on google and do it by the browser...It is not very manageable!
I'd like to use mail also to delete the e-mails definitly also on the server, without the need to go on internet.

Is it possible? How can I do this?

Thank you guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You can set Gmail to delete emails on the server when emails are accessed with pop.
Navigate to settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP
"2. When messages are accessed with POP" to "delete gmails copy"

Now then you download mail, it will remove the copy on the server keeping mail from re downloading already accessed mail.

OP
Xenon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz/Mac OSX 10.6/128 GB HD SSD/NVIDIA Geforce 9400M/External drive WD HDD 500 Gb
Thak you Mcyukon!
ok I've done! But the gmail account on Mail is Imap... is this a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
If you are using IMAP the above pop setting don't apply.
I have a feeling unchecking this checkbox will solve your problems.
4395324027_2fc25a77de_o.jpg

These are the Google reccomended settings for apple mail when using IMAP
  • From the Mail menu, click Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors
    • Drafts:
      Store draft messages on the server > do NOT check
      Sent:
      Store sent messages on the server > do NOT check
      Junk:
      Store junk messages on the server > checked
      Delete junk messages when > Never
      Trash:
      Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox > do NOT check
      Store deleted messages on the server > do NOT check

Interesting Reads
Deleting IMAP messages - Gmail Help
How do actions sync in IMAP? - Gmail Help
Recommended IMAP client settings - Gmail Help

OP
Xenon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mcyukon thanks for your reply!
I've done what you said but I still can't delete google mails simply deleting them on Mail!
I think there's something in google and Mail settings that isn't right!
I can't understand!
HELP ME PLEASE :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to admit this has me stumped.
In my mail when I delete a mail it immediately goes into the Trash folder where it stays until the server deletes it (After a month).
And the settings on mine are as they were the day I set it up.
The problem that gmail has is that it doesn't handle IMAP the same way other IMAP providers handle it, they have there own scheme on how it handles mail thus causing a lot of confusion in their own forums and other forums. I even read somewhere you should use Gmail over the web interface because of it just works better that way.

I found a long article on how to set up Apple Mail so that it works better with the IMAP from google. Achieving Email Bliss with IMAP, Gmail, and Apple Mail

You can try asking at the Gmail Support Forum maybe someone there can help you more.
Sorry I couldn't help you much :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.