Word or Pages word processor?

Reaction score
I have been using NeoOffice (very happy with it; freeware: paid $25 contribution). But it had some formatting problems saving a .docx document I had to work on recently (didn't keep the elements in a table - put them outside; lost numbers of a list .... whether I saved as .docx or .doc).

I've read quite a few complaints about MS Word 2008 for Mac, and would be happy to buy 2009 iWorks, but am concerned about compatibility. I am a freelance journalist/writer, and need to be able to work on a document (especially using Track Changes), and then have a PC user be able to open and work on it without losing the original formatting.

(There is little price difference here, since Amazon sells Microsoft Office: Mac 2008 Home and Student for $110 -- allowing 3 home users to share it, and iWork '09 Family Pack for $81 - allowing 5 home users).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
I have both and I prefer to use Microsoft word over pages...
I haven't found a huge amount wrong with it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I bet if you take a CD or DVD to an Apple Store and ask if you can create and burn a file in Pages to test with Word for Windows that they'd be happy to accommodate you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.