Wireless HELP! - DLink 300 router

Reaction score
hey everyone,
this is my first post on mac-forums so i am not 100% if i'm in the right section but i do have an issue and would appreciate some pointers.

my girlfriend just bought a condo and her router (Dlink 300 wireless) was installed by her cable company. She did not have a computer when the wireless was installed. She just bought a 15" macbook pro and i tried installing the setup wizard. I put the disc in and it shows up on the desktop but the actual setup wizard can not be opened. It said something like "you do not have the appropriate application to open this yada yada". A connection can be found but its simply known as 'dlink' but i still cant access the internet.

I'm also wondering if i did something wrong in terms of creating a wireless network in the macbook.

basically i thought i could do this, and i have proven myself wrong lol.

any help on either issue?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Do you know if their setup wizard is for Windows, or do they have an OS X version?

I haven't had a D-Link router for a couple years now, but when I did, you configured it by typing the routers IP address into your browser. The configuration software was built into the router. Try opening a browser and typing 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. I think that's the default address their routers use.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks very much jaygray, i'll have to check if they have an OS X version. i will type that IP address into safari.

do you know the difference between using the setup wizard and creating a network on the macbook? i dont know whether the setup wizard will create a private network for me or i have to do it myself.

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I honestly don't remember much about the setup wizard. It's been several years since I set mine up. Actually I would recommend called the D-Link 800 number. Just tell them your exact model and they will walk you through the setup process over the phone. I called them a couple times over the years.

For the most part, the setup is done on the the router via your browser. The computer your using shouldn't really be relevant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.