Can't use dock or see menu bar OS X 10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I was trying to change the colour of my menu bar to a curved white one using a SArtFile.bin file I put it in
Code:
System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUIFramework/Versions/A/Resources
and restarted but now nothing is working once I log in I only have the dock at the bottom that doesn't respond to any clicks.

I have also tried booting into safe-mode which didn't work just kept restarting!

I have the original file I backed up but can't work out how to put it back!!

Anyone know any way of getting it working again? Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Boot up to your SD! or CCC bootable backup and browse your internal drive to put the original back.

My next suggestion is going to be reinstall the OS and either do an archive and install or restore from your Time Machine backup.

You should probably wait for other suggestions if you don't have a bootable backup.

OP
G3XOI
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Boot up to your SD! or CCC bootable backup and browse your internal drive to put the original back.

My next suggestion is going to be reinstall the OS and either do an archive and install or restore from your Time Machine backup.

You should probably wait for other suggestions if you don't have a bootable backup.

I don't have any bootable backups :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just a heads up, besides just having a backup, this is another great use for a bootable backup. I've messed up my installation several times and a quick boot to the external had me back up and running again in a matter of a couple of minutes.

The other option you may have if you have another Mac is using firewire target disk mode.

I'm not sure you'll have many more options if you can't boot the system with access to the file system to move the original file back either through Finder or Terminal.

OP
G3XOI
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Just a heads up, besides just having a backup, this is another great use for a bootable backup. I've messed up my installation several times and a quick boot to the external had me back up and running again in a matter of a couple of minutes.

The other option you may have if you have another Mac is using firewire target disk mode.

I'm not sure you'll have many more options if you can't boot the system with access to the file system to move the original file back either through Finder or Terminal.

Yeah I probably should do a backup, which is the best way of doing it?

Sadly I don't have another Mac, using my mum's windows laptop :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Use your OS X disc and do an archive and install. :p It'll keep all your OS prefs except what you did the mess it up. That's how I fixed it after I destroyed my leopard set up trying to do the same thing. I was going for the black menu bar, which I had gotten, and white text... the white text is what killed me.

OP
G3XOI
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Use your OS X disc and do an archive and install. :p It'll keep all your OS prefs except what you did the mess it up. That's how I fixed it after I destroyed my leopard set up trying to do the same thing. I was going for the black menu bar, which I had gotten, and white text... the white text is what killed me.

haha yeah it's tempting! Still can't see what I did wrong though! Weird!

Thank's I'm going to try that now :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.