Windows Vista can't connect to MAC shared folder

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am fairly new to the MAC world. I have a Macbook Pro 15". I have a folder shared on the mac with a sharing only account made called wb. I have 2 friends on the same network as the mac computer. One friend has Windows 7 on his computer and he can connect to the shared folder just fine using the wb username and correct password. My other friend with Windows vista however cannont connect. When we try to connect by tying \\192.168.1.140 into the run block it pulls up an authentication window. We type the username wb and the correct password in and hit ok and that same window pops right back up and says the user can't access the computer. The share is obviously setup properly or the windows 7 user would not be able to connect, so it seems its just the vista machine. Any ideas why this might be and what I can do to fix it? thanks guys.

OP
T
Reaction score
For anybody else who has this question I figured it out. I did this and it now works.

1. Run the registry editor (regedit) and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.