• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Stream Video to TV from MacPro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
Is there a way that I can stream from my 17" MacPro to my Television? And if so, not just movie files but stream from the internet and play it on my tv? I know with windows media center I could stream a movie that was on my pc harddrive but I had to convert the file to MPEG4 (i think).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Unfortunately, your question is a little vague - what kind of a tv do you have? Does the TV have a built in receiver for streaming video or did you use some other sort of set top box (whether it be another computer or a PS3, etc.)?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
ive got a 52 inch samsung plasma with a usb hook up, hdmi, component etc... , a ps3, tive and an xbox 360... oh and a samsung blu ray with wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you can stream to the ps3, using the PS3 Media Server (AKA PMS server) which you can get from here: Downloads - ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code

The xbox 360 is currently unofficially supported by the pms software. You can also use a pay product called Connect360 ( Nullriver Software : Products : Connect360 ) and I'm sure there are other options out there I'm not aware of.

The samsung bluray with wifi probably is one of those netflix compatible bluray players? My guess is that will only stream from netflix, but honestly, I don't know. The usb hookup on the TV is very specific, I can't comment on it. Mine has a USB hookup as well, but it's only for very certain things.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks Neth I will check out the PMS server! (PMS... hehe)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it is a rather humorous name for the project - I've used it tho in the past on both my Mac and prior to switching to Mac on my windows boxes, and it has worked well. The only time I ever ran into a real problem was dealing with fast forwarding - but at the time I was using wifi to communicate with my ps3 so there may have been a bandwidth issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.