No sound on MacBook Pro- please help!

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished 17" macbook pro, and shortly after purchasing, the sound completely went out on this machine. There is no startup sound, all the input/output is marked on, and I can no longer watch videos due to the sound issue. I also seem to be having problems with it taking a long time to load any website that has a video attachment. This is my first Apple product, and I otherwise love the simplicity of it, but am really frustrated about having this problem. I'm trying to not have to invest more money to fix a machine the company I purchased from should fixed already, but long story there, am getting no where with support from them. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just go into Apple genius bar with your proof of purchase, as even if it is refurbished, and it is still under warranty, there should be no problem getting it fixed or replaced.
First step when something goes wrong with Apple is the genius bar, and then if things don't get sorted, then the manager, then, on the phone with Apple if the matter is not resolved... but always with a smile and a positive non confrontational manner.
In majority of cases, this will resolve things without a glitch.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks 6string, but no warranty- that's my problem. That is why I said I'm getting no where with the company I bought from. I guess I just have to put out more money to get it fixed. Ever heard of this problem before with Mac? Should I go back to my PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You couldn't get me to go back to PC even if you held a gun to my head! :)
What model are the specs of your MBP and what version of OSX are you running?
Have you tried plugging in external speakers and seeing if that works?
Also, run through this.
Could also be dirt in the input/output, blow in there to so see if that fixes it.
Plugging in mini jack in and out a few times could fix it.

Failing all that if none of the above fixes it, I would certainly be making an appointment at Apple genius bar for them to look at it and give you a report as to what is wrong and an estimate as to what it would cost to fix it.

Meanwhile, hopefully some others will come along to this thread and maybe provide fixes that I've not come to the table with.

Post back, and don't give up on Mac...... they rock!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looking in the headphone jack, do you see a red light there?

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!
I have tried to plug in external speakers, doesn't work. No red light in headphone jack- I saw a thread posted about this before and had checked that one out already. I have OS X, not sure what other specs you need?
Air blowing doesn't seem to affect anything at all, but it sure is clean now!
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.