DNS-323, Time Capsule, Snow Leopard

B

Backhertz

I had posted this in another thread, but figured I should let it stand on its own.

I purchased a DNS-323 with two WD 2TB hard drives which I formatted in EXT3 and have in a RAID 1 configuration. I have unsuccessfully tried for three days in getting my MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I've got the DNS-323 with firmware ver 1.08 hooked up to a ZyXel wireless router. I can see the NAS box, but Time Machine won't. I even signed up for premium membership when I didn't see an activation email today in my frustration....but it was in the Spam (doh!) folder. Two feet of snow, three days of trying older tutorials and I am relatively new to OS X. Has anyone successfully done this with my configuration above? The tutorials I see when I Google are dated 2008 & pre Snow Leopard. Thanks in advance. I was a PC hostage for many years until I broke free & finally bought a MAcBook. My Unix was fair at one time, but that was about 25 years ago.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Time Machine will not directly "see" a drive formatted in EXT3. It expects to the drive it will use to be HFS+ with journaling enabled. Although I haven't tried it there is apparently a way to make this work with network shares Time Machine with Network Attached Storage in 10.6 - MacTalk Forums. I haven't tested this personally so I can't guarantee how well it works.

OP
B

Backhertz

Thanks Slydude,
I actually got it to work last night. But for some reason it was late & I ended up formatting my camera memory card which was plugged in & happened to be recognized by Time Machine. One this I had to do was reset the DNS-323 to factory default settings and then it would show up under "Shared" in Finder. I have the ability and the patience to keep at it. So Time Machine errored out when it tried to use only a 2 GB space. It was close to 2 A.M. & I was tired. Will try some more & again. I have a couple of tutorials posted in 2008 and one in 2009. I will look at the one you send. Thanx.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Hope that helps a bit.

OP
B

Backhertz

Slydude,
I have it working perfectly. But it is going into the small swap partition in the drive in the DNS-323 & leaving me only 500 or so MB of space. I do I get it to go to the #2 partition of my Volume in the NAS box which has all the space?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Interesting - so you have multiple volumes when configured in RAID1? If so, that's a trick I haven't managed to figure out yet. One of the only disappointments I've had with the DNS-323 is that it doesn't seem to be able to build multiple volumes (or shares) in RAID1.

OP
B

Backhertz

I'm sorry. I reformatted into two single drives. SO I have 2 volumes. Volume 2 is the back up drive, but I only have 500 MB or so of space. I believe I am stuck in the swap partition or the other small partition. What I did was pulled a drive out & hooked it directly to my Mac via a USB setup I have. I saw 3 partitions. #1 was the swap partition for Linux. #2 was 1.98 TB. #3 was a 500 MB or so partition- I'm not sure what for as I'm not a Linux operator. My Time Machine backs up well until it gets to the 500 MB point & then it stops. I noticed an Error 45. I've seen that on other threads, but I don't know what it means. Anyone, anyone?

OP
B

Backhertz

I decided to go with a Synology DS-409+ and Time Machine works fine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.