Squeeze for MacOS 10.6+ any good?

Reaction score
I got an email about this app called Squeeze that's supposed to compress your files to save hard drive space, but at the same time has no effect on the way the files are read.

It's apparently free at the moment, until it is widely released for USD 9.95.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and thought it was good.

Has anyone here tried it?

Is it safe? Does it work?

:p lots of questions... but I figured I'd get some info before installing this thing that I just got a random email about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I got an email about this app called Squeeze that's supposed to compress your files to save hard drive space, but at the same time has no effect on the way the files are read.

It's apparently free at the moment, until it is widely released for USD 9.95.

#1 I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and thought it was good.

#2 Has anyone here tried it?

#3 Is it safe? Does it work?

:p lots of questions... but I figured I'd get some info before installing this thing that I just got a random email about.

#1 & #2 I have it installed on my mac for 1 day now and have not had any problems with it. Is easy to use and isn't in the way.

#3 According to the developer it is safe. It uses the same technique Snow Leopard uses on your applications.
Right now I use it on large folders that don't contain precious data and it has, according to the pref pane, saved me 117 MB of the 1.25GB I dropped on it.
Basically it is your decision what folders to use it on, you don't have to use it on your whole system.
And when in doubt, making a backup will save you lots of headaches when something does go wrong.
Oh, and the Squeeze FAQ has almost all your questions in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.