iMac 21,5'' - is it a good moment to buy it?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I really would like to buy an iMac 21,5'', but I am a little worried after reading so many complaints on the web (mainly concerning the screen: flickering screen, dead pixels, backlight bleeding, noisy screen... and noisy HDs..).

However, all the posts I found refer to the first 2-3 weeks buyers...

What do you all think?! Is it now a good moment to buy an iMac 21,5?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Most of the screen-related issues are actually for the 27" iMac and not the 21.5" one..dead pixels could affect either size and the noises, well that could afflict ANY computer..

But it's a perfectly good time to grab a 21.5", but if you were planning on getting a 27" instead, there's just as many people saying they have no problems..so YMMV..

But if you were only interested in the 21.5", then nothing should be holding you back...

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 13" Mid-2014 i5 256gb SSD 8gb Ram, iPad Mini 2 32gb
I've had my iMac for almost 2 weeks now and have not had any of the issues that people a complaining about. Everything is working great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
I just icked a 21.5 iMac up for my wife and I don't see any of the issues that the complaints have been about. My wifes is a week 6 build.

C

chas_m

One really MUST try and remember that Apple sells 3.5 million Macs each quarter, and a fair number of those are iMacs, and so seeing a dozen or two scattered reports of issues with a particular model really doesn't mean anything. Happy customers don't tend to write reports or forum posts just to let us know that everything's going fine. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
well it seems like I was unlucky enough to get one with the yellow tinge issue :(

everything else is perfect, but the fact that the bottom right corner is yellow doesn't leave me so happy... well, not after spending more than a thousand euros..

I had a sixth sense about this - now I am going to become one of the hundreds that are writing endless posts online on forums like this one:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Yellow tinge from bottom to top of the ...

C

chas_m

OR you could return the machine to Apple (as they've officially acknowledged the problem) and get it repaired or replaced at no cost ...

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply Chas_m

The problem here is that everything else works perfectly.
It's very quiet, no scratches, no dead pixels, no flickering (so far)
i only have one week to return it, as i bought it at an apple premium reseller and not at the apple store...
hence, if my first replacement is not 100% alright, I will have to go though their repair centre, and wait who knows how long...
and it does seem that even after having the screen replaced, many people report that the issue did not disappear :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
I bought my 21.5" Three days after they were released ands I've had no problems. Like Raz0r said, most of the issues are with the 27" models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
I believe by now apple has it all figured out. Any kind of product fails with factory issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Here is an article you guys might be interested in reading. It talks about Apple acknowledging the problems and its apparent fix.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's even worse guys.... Is that you could have bought a 2009 Toyota Camry for $26,000! :Oops:

Regards.

Reaction score
OR you could return the machine to Apple (as they've officially acknowledged the problem) and get it repaired or replaced at no cost ...

i have the issue and just got of the phone with a rep. he said he can offer 1 of two things. the first would be to send it back and get a free replacement. BUT, they can not guarantee that it will be without the yellowing at the bottom. and if i decide to go this route, there is no more replacement. the 2nd, i could have the screen itself replaced at a service center, free of charge. but again, this is is a one time thing i was told. if it was the same or worse, i would be SOL.. while i have been very happy with my apple experience thus far, this is extremely disheartening. what if i send it back and receive a new computer, worse than the one i already had? the guy on the phone also tried to tell me that this yellowing was standard on all LCD screens, which i completely disagree with. unfortunately i got disconnected from the call somehow. i am trying to figure out what to do at this point. maybe wait it out (my applecare is good through dec 31st, 2012) until it has been resolved [fingers crossed] before getting a replacement?

but being that now have a case # reporting an issue within 3 months of ownership, i should be good down the road if i want to replace it. again, fingers are crossed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.