Bootpicker won't boot on mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I installed Boot picker on my mac and configured it to start always with the windows side. The problem is that when I try to boot from the mac side, I can't because boot Picker is blocking it.

I set up Boot camp to restart with the mac side, but the windows side always comes up.

Is there anyway to uninstall boot picker from the windows side? Or do you have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hold down the option key when you start your mac. You'll then get a choice of which OS to boot into.

Boot into Mac and rid yourself of Bootpicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I did that. It didn't work

What exactly did not work .... the booting part or the bootpicker deletion part ?

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No backup? Time Machine? That would be the easiest way to remove Boot Picker.

Also, what version of Boot Picker did you install? I've never seen Boot Picker act like that and I've used an older version with Leopard and a newer one with Snow Leopard.

Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can hook both Macs together in a Firewire Target Disk Mode configuration. From the Mac without Boot Picker you can access the Mac with Boot Picker and remove it that way. If you can't do that, post back and we can try something else.

Regards.

Reaction score
To Remove Bootpicker

If you are having trouble getting into OSX because of BootPicker.

1: Power on while holding down Option (for OS selector)
2: Select OSX while holding down Left Shift Key (for safe mode)

OSX should now boot without Bootpicker interfering and allow you to remove/adjust Bootpicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Let me add something from my experience: Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER use any app that modifies your boot sequence! Ever!

As a UNIX, Mac OS X has many, many tiny configuration files and little programs that have to be able to start. If any of them are damaged, modified improperly, or lost then you may have an unbootable Macintosh.

And that's scary!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Is Bootpicker even necessary? You could've had it boot into Windows every time without it.

Does it still let you boot into Windows? if so, go into the Boot Camp preferences and select the Mac OS X startup disk, hit apply and restart. *Caution though* Do this only if you can still boot into Windows by holding option at startup. If not, this might cause a boot loop that you can't get out of without a complete hard drive wipe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let me add something from my experience: Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER use any app that modifies your boot sequence! Ever!

That's nonsense. Many of use rEFIt to dual boot or even triple boot without any problems whatsoever. Sure you can screw things up if you don't know what you're doing. You can even mess things up nicely with Boot Camp. :(

Besides... that what backups are for. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.