Macbook black screen, no chime, solid white light

Reaction score
My macbook wont display anything just a black screen. The power light stays solid on the front. I can hear the HDD spinning but nothing else is responsive.

I have tried reseating the ram, cleaning all connections. Just about everything I could find on the internet but still nothing.

Could someone please help me!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a look here and give that a shot.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yea I already tried the SMC reset but it didn't work.

I'm starting to get the idea that it may be the logicboard! I hope not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I had a slightly different set of symptoms (progress wheel on apple screen, followed by mouse on blue screen) when my logic board went, so it sounds like you might be in that boat. Try resetting the PMU (hold down power button for 10-ish seconds, until light on front blinks).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're all backed up, you might be able to erase & reinstall from the discs, but no guarantees...

Best of luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I don't think he gets any screen at all so you can't install anything if you don't even hear the apple startup sound.

Reaction score
I had something similar happen to my MB Pro recently and you aren't going to like it if your problem turns out to be the same. When I pressed the power button I could hear the hard drive spinning but the chime didn't sound and the screen stayed black. The little green sleep light built into the lid release catch on the front of the computer would flash 3 times, go dark, flash 3 times again, and on and on. Fortunately, I have AppleCare so I took the MB Pro to the Apple Store and learned that the logic board had failed and that the computer had to be sent off to the repair center for repairs. I got it back fixed in a couple of days but I would have hated to have to pay for it out of pocket. Obviously, I hope that isn't what has happened to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think he gets any screen at all so you can't install anything if you don't even hear the apple startup sound.

What I meant was boot from the OS disc. Unless your computer has become totally bricked for some reason, it never hurts to reinstall. :p

C

chas_m

You might try this:

Shut down the computer by holding the power button for four seconds.

Unplug the unit.

Take out the battery.

Let it sit for at least an hour (overnight would be good).

Now put everything back and fire it up. Better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
What I meant was boot from the OS disc. Unless your computer has become totally bricked for some reason, it never hurts to reinstall. :p

I understood that much. But you can't install the OS if you have only a black screen to work from in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
My old iBook G3 700 did this. It needs a new logic board, which I have. One day I might convince my husband to install it for me

Maybe.

OP
X
Reaction score
Well It turned out it was actually the logic board I took it to the apple store and the guy knew what it was.

I thought about repairing it but I may just wait around for the new MBP's to come out! Whenever they do come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
I would take the puppy to the apple store if I were you. I think your system might of crashed. Try to call the apple hot line they might help you from the phone. Im interested. Do any of you might think that his hard drive might of failed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.