Time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
How do I delete all my old backups and just leave the most recent on my external hd.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure that's a good idea. When Time Machine creates an initial backup it copies the files. Subsequent backup updates create hard links to a file until that file is modified. It seems like there is a good possibility of deleting an original file that Time Machine is pointing to.If all you want at the moment is the most recent backup you might want to delete the Time Machine files from that drive and initiate a new backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Just delete the sparsebundle file off your external drive and allow Time Machine to create a new backup containing only your most recent info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I thought there was a setting where older backups can be deleted? I keep filling up the time machine drive, and it gets a bit old to have to chronically delete older backups.....bottom line, this is my Newb question, how can I have Time Machine delete 1 month old backups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I thought there was a setting where older backups can be deleted? I keep filling up the time machine drive, and it gets a bit old to have to chronically delete older backups.....bottom line, this is my Newb question, how can I have Time Machine delete 1 month old backups?

The only option along those lines I see is to have Time Machine notify you when it deletes an old backup. It is my understanding that it just deletes the old ones to make room for new ones without any user intervention once the drive fills up. Of course, i am no expert, but this is the way I read it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I keep filling up the time machine drive, and it gets a bit old to have to chronically delete older backups.....

This doesn't sound right. How big is your internal drive? How much of it is used? How back is your backup drive? You may have a folder which needs to be excluded from the backup. I been backing up a 100gb of data on the same backup for two years and it has only added up to 200gb.

C

chas_m

Time Machine automatically deletes old backups as the drive fills up. No idea why the OP thinks he has to do this manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I keep getting a pop up window that says the TM backup drive is full. I checked the settings but nothing there, at least that I have seen, indicating it will delete older backups.

Puzzling.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Trust me it does. I got the message a couple of days ago when the drive had only about 10 GB of free space. TM has continued to backup regularly despite the notice.

@mtbinva

There are some folders that I exclude from Time Machine backups because they tend to explode. Some I exclude because for me they rarely change (Developer Tools for instance). Two folders that can cause TM backups to explode are VM files (Fusion, Parallels, etc) and the drive protection files Tech Tool Pro creates. ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.