Macbook Hard Drive Replacement Issues

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a new hard drive for my aluminum unibody (late 2008) macbook and proceeded to replace the old one using the instructions in the manual along with a video and restore the data with this guide from my external hard drive. The Secret of the Time Machine-Assisted Hard Drive Swap - 320GB - Gizmodo
The hard drive I bought was the Hitachi travelstar 500gb 7200rpm drive. Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Retail
Then, when I started it up it came up with the 'please restart your computer' screen immediately and I couldn't get any further than that. I restarted multiple times but it didn't help. So I put the old hard drive back in which I'm using now and it works fine.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting this to work or if I just got a defective hard drive and if I should get a replacement.
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I would put the old hard drive beck in the MBP. Then take the new drive and put it or connect it in a way you can connect it ti your MBP via USB. Use a program like CarbonCopyCloner and clone your old drive (the one you have reinstalled in your MBP). Once completed, do a restart of your system and hold the "Options" button down. This will allow you to boot to your new drive while still externally connected (the screen will show two drives, make sure you boot to your new drive recently cloned). Cruise around in it to make sure you programs launch, all your docs are there, etc...

Once you have verified this, swap the drive and boot normally.

This should do the trick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it will work just fine. The software CarbonCopyCloner will take about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to copy a 320 to the 500. I know this because I just did what your doing yesterday. The fact you can boot to the external to check to see if it boots, and to run programs is an absolute awesome thing!

If you need help with this process, let me know, I'll be more than glad to help. I've done this process 3 times in the last 2-3 months.

As far as I have read about time machine, you would have to to do an install from the original OS media, and then run time machine to restore your last backup. I like the idea of cloning a drive because it will contain a more comprehensive backup and will get your MB back to the sate it was in before your upgrade, just with more room.

Here is a how too guide OWC offers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Hi,
I recently bought a new hard drive for my aluminum unibody (late 2008) macbook and proceeded to replace the old one using the instructions in the manual along with a video and restore the data with this guide from my external hard drive. The Secret of the Time Machine-Assisted Hard Drive Swap - 320GB - Gizmodo
The hard drive I bought was the Hitachi travelstar 500gb 7200rpm drive. Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Retail
Then, when I started it up it came up with the 'please restart your computer' screen immediately and I couldn't get any further than that. I restarted multiple times but it didn't help. So I put the old hard drive back in which I'm using now and it works fine.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting this to work or if I just got a defective hard drive and if I should get a replacement.
Thanks for any help.

When you first installed the new HD, you would have needed to boot your Mac from the OS X DVD prior to restoring from Time Machine. You insert the disc, restart the machine and hold down the 'C' key when it first reboots. This causes it to boot from the DVD which will then give you the option to restore from TM to the new HD.

OP
J
Reaction score
I did that Jaygray, I wonder what the issue was.
I received the HD enclosure and am now copying my current hard drive. I'll get back to you guys when it finishes and tell you if it was successful.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did that Jaygray, I wonder what the issue was.
I received the HD enclosure and am now copying my current hard drive. I'll get back to you guys when it finishes and tell you if it was successful.
Thanks again

Good luck. All should go well. I'll check back in a couple of hours. The nice thing is, you now have an external drive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Just got to booting up with the new HD externally, posting on it now and everything seems to be working fine. I'll go ahead and switch out the hard drive internally and be back in a few minutes.
Yeah, I can now use this old hard drive for extra space, thanks for the advice.

OP
J
Reaction score
Now using my new HD successfully! Things seem to open much faster with this 7200 rpm HD now and much more memory.
I thought it was a defective hard drive and was planning on sending it back if it weren't for your advice, thanks again, you saved me a lot of hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries! Glad it worked out...I know what it was like when I did it...Awesome! You ever come through Virginia, you owe me a beer! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've heard only good things and read only good reviews on that 7K500.... and now you're another one to add to the list!
Glad to hear you're back in action :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.