Strange Browser Problem Yahoo not Working in Safarai, Firefox =(

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums. I'm having a strange problem. I have Safari, FF 3.6, and Google Chrome all installed now on my Mac OX 10.5.8 and all browsing of all other websites but yahoo.com seems to load fine. Yahoo.com takes about a few mins to load and when it does load it's all distorted. This problem is driving me nuts. I am not sure. Please let me know if anyone has had this problem before it's driving me crazyyyy past few days.. Thanks in advance,

Stacy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've not had the same problem, but have had problems with FF 3.6 and yahoo.com and yahoo messenger, and ended up rolling back to FF 3.5.8 which fixed the problem. So, maybe give that a go!
Firefox 3.5.8

Reaction score
Yahoo Issues

All the guys here in my office on a mac (myself included) are getting the exact same issue. Windows users are not. Also, when I go to yahoo.com on my Windows XP in Virtual Box everything is fine.

I've spent a little bit of time testing it and I see what is going on. It looks like Yahoo uses yimg.com as a proxy to dynamically load a bunch of .css files into the browser as a single request. They do it by loading http://l.yimg.com/a/combo?{cssfile1}&{cssfile2} etc...

It appears they are loading SOOOO many css files they are maxing out the URL length allowed in an HTTP GET. Once the QueryString (list of css files) exceeds a specific length it breaks on mac... (that length being somewhere between 1407 and 1411 characters). I've always understood that limit to be browser specific and not OS specific but it appears to break at that length on every browser I use on my Mac and it works on every browser I've tested on Windows.

Mac:
FF, Chrome, Safari

Windows:
IE8, FF, Chrome, Safari

I'm going to try to email Yahoo and let them know what I've found, but who knows???

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Browser Problem with Yahoo

I have the same wierd apprearance issue with Yahoo and Mac OS 10.5. One day at the beginning of the year it just went haywire. It takes ages to load and then has 18 out of 22 loading errors. There are no graphics, only text all lined up along the left side of the page. Navigating from one page to another takes forever and it's just too annoying to work with. No problems at all on a PC. Any suggestions? MZ

Reaction score
Status update on my original post:

It appears the issue (in my case) is my Firewall. I am behind a SonicWall Pro 2040 (Enhanced). The issue is occurring here at the office but not outside the office. When we are at home, everyone in the office can get to Yahoo.com, but when we come into the office... NO YAHOO!

I wanted to test the theory that it was my firewall so while in the office I plugged directly into the Modem and presto! Yahoo pops up immediately. Plug back in behind my firewall and again.... 5+ minute wait and finally the page loads with no CSS.

Not sure which setting to change yet, but I'm working on it...

@the others having this problem on this thread:

What kind of equipment is on your network? What Brand/Model of firewall/router are you working with?

Reaction score
Same problem

Querydawg, I'm having the same problem with a Sonicwall TZ100. It only affects Macs and it's only www.yahoo.com or news.yahoo.com. On some computers www.yahoo.com will work and news.yahoo.com won't and on others news.yahoo.com will work and www.yahoo.com won't. On the affected computers, I can ping and tracert yahoo.com. It just won't browse. I tried upgrading the firmware to no avail. I swapped out the Sonicwall for a Linksys and everything works. I took the Sonicwall to a different location with a different ISP and have the same problem. I reset it to the factory defaults and the problem still occurred. It must be a Sonicwall issue. Have you found a solution?

I also posted the problem here if that helps: Sonicwall OS X yahoo.com problem : Sonicwall OS X yahoo.com

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same sonicwall issue. Did anybody ever find the solution??

Reaction score
Posible Solution

I had this issue on a new TZ210. We run a mix of Mac's and PC's. Same story, Mac users complained, PC users did not.

The solution was to un-check the "Enforce Host Tag Search for CFS" on the hidden diagnostics page.

Try this:

Log in to your SonicWall Device as admin, then change the url from http://<yourIPaddress>/main.html to Http://<yourIPaddress>/diag.html

Look for the check box "Enforce Host Tag Search for CFS". If it is checked (this is the default setting) just un-check it and hit save.

Here's why:

CFS is trying to be restrictive, and some sites have such a big header on their HTML (usually keywords) that CFS is expecting to occur in the first packet doesn't appear until later packets. It has to do with how much data CFS has at hand to make its decision.

It's not a security issue, it's a content filtering issue. If this box is checked, CFS will drop the packet if the host tag doesn't appear in the first packet.

Checking the box means CFS will enforce (require) that the host tag appears in the first packet. There is no RFC (internet standard) that requires the host tag to be in the first packet - it's a question of how much buffering is in the SonicWALL device.

When you un-check this box, the worst that could happen is that some site that CFS would otherwise block will be allowed because CFS doesn't have a host tag to check. Most sites have their HOST tag in the first packet returned, it's only a few rare ones that don't. And Yahoo does not.

So... You could give Yahoo a call and ask them to play nice, or you can un-check the box. Your call.

To give credit where credit is due, I found the solution on the SonicWall Forums.

Hope this helps,

rod

Reaction score
That did the job

Thank you for the tip. I just got this problem reported and my network is behind a TZ210. The fact that PC users were able to get to the web site without any problems and mac users don't was driving me nuts. thank you again for the post and to the main poster on sonicwall forums.

Reaction score
strange firefox problem 3.6

I FINALLY SOLVED MY HANGING, "STOPPED" LOADING AND FORCE QUIT PROBLEMS AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING SHORT OF ARCHIVE AND INSTALL.

I FINALLY SOLVED MY HANGING, "STOPPED" LOADING AND FORCE QUIT PROBLEMS AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING SHORT OF ARCHIVE AND INSTALL:
I HAD TO RESTART
"FORCED" TEN TIMES A DAY:

I UPDATED JAVA:

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9
About Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9

also

JavaEmbeddingPlugin 0.9.7.5

I have a PPC G5 dual 2.0
OSX 10.5.8

Firefox 3.6.16

Reaction score
Browsers not working

Hi Everyone. I'm a noob and am looking for help.
I have an iMac, Mac OS X v10.6.7 Snow Lepoard.

I was working happily on my mac. I stepped away for a couple of hours and when I returned and opened a new window in Google Chrome v10.0.648.204 gave me an error. I didn't fret until Safari and Opera did the same thing. I launched Mozilla and it seems to be the only browser that is working. Out of all the browsers it was the only one I haven't used daily.

I tried to reset default all proxies on browsers. Create a 'new network'. Turned off/on Automatic. I've research and attempted all the suggestions. I'm hoping to find an answer/guidance.

Thank you
Ink :)

Reaction score
i have the same problem with my three browsers on my macbook pro since the last time i clicked on the "update available" a week ago.

my.yahoo.com homepage works with my ipad.

i called yahoo & they said to call mac. it must have been something in that last update.

i wish mac would address this already.

C

chas_m

Since there isn't a company called "Mac," I doubt they'll ever fix the issue.

You might try calling APPLE, the company that made your Macs. They might be able to help.

But as the discussion above indicates its a firewall issue, you might want to try checking to see if you have the (unnecessary) software firewall turned on on your Mac, and turn it OFF if it is indeed on. That might help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.